Replace tank for a gas tank

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
vizier
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000

Replace tank for a gas tank

Post by vizier »

Has anyone replaced their storage tank with an actual gas tank? I have a gl1000 76 and was wondering what tanks look best/fit best and if it affects the handling of the bike making it more top heavy. I wanna do a pass through look and get that old tank out but not sure what's gonna look good.. pictures would be awesome!!

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Re: Replace tank for a gas tank

Post by Maz »

vizier wrote:Has anyone replaced their storage tank with an actual gas tank? I have a gl1000 76 and was wondering what tanks look best/fit best and if it affects the handling of the bike making it more top heavy. I wanna do a pass through look and get that old tank out but not sure what's gonna look good.. pictures would be awesome!!
The whole point of the "false" tank on Goldwings is to provide space to house a multitude of electrical items, air filter, coolant expansion bottle etc. The real tank, under the seat, keeps the centre of gravity low. A modification like you are suggesting would definitely make the bike more top-heavy, plus you would have to carry out a major rewire/relocation of many essential items. Anything is possible but I think you would end up with an ugly, ill-handling machine. Only my personal thoughts though.

Maz
Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!