Changing from heel toe gear changer to standard gear change

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
Mudge
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda gl1000k plane Jane u.s. import

Changing from heel toe gear changer to standard gear change

Post by Mudge »

Hi peeps, I have an American import gl1000 1976 and its got foot boards and this odd toe heel gear shift which is a real nightmare to use also only being 5ft tall/short the board's get in my way when putting the side stand down, I have managed to get my hands on replacement pegs and a replacement gear shifter Oem new old stock and i was wondering if anyone lives near to Portsmouth that could possibly advise how to go about sorting my bike?.
Thanking anyone out there in advance for any help and advice that they Dan give me.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Changing from heel toe gear changer to standard gear change

Post by WingAdmin »

I doubt you'll have much difficulty - the boards fit onto the same fittings as the original pegs, so it's just unbolt one, and bolt on the others.

Keep in mind that when pulling the shift lever off the shift shaft, the pinch bolt must be completely removed before it will come off - loosening it is not good enough! Same goes installing the new one - pinch bolt has to be removed before the lever will go on the shaft.
Mudge

Post by Mudge »

Thanks for the advice regarding putting things back the way they need to be, just one other question.
The heel toe gear change has a rod that goes somewhere underneath the cylinder, this rod has an adjuster nut and thread at the foot changer with a spring clip, what does this rod do?, is it just some sort of tensioning rod or does it serve some other purpose?, I know these questions must seam a little tedious but firstly I have only owned CB550s and 750s also I am disabled I have degenerative osteo arthritis and have had a lot of surgery and replacement parts installed including a complete wrist replacement so before I go pulling my baby to bits and taking the best part of a day to do what would normally take maybe a couple of hours i just thought i would ask someone who knows what is what with these machines.
So thank you for your advice and patience.
Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz »

Mudge wrote:Thanks for the advice regarding putting things back the way they need to be, just one other question.
The heel toe gear change has a rod that goes somewhere underneath the cylinder, this rod has an adjuster nut and thread at the foot changer with a spring clip, what does this rod do?, is it just some sort of tensioning rod or does it serve some other purpose?, I know these questions must seam a little tedious but firstly I have only owned CB550s and 750s also I am disabled I have degenerative osteo arthritis and have had a lot of surgery and replacement parts installed including a complete wrist replacement so before I go pulling my baby to bits and taking the best part of a day to do what would normally take maybe a couple of hours i just thought i would ask someone who knows what is what with these machines.
So thank you for your advice and patience.
I think you're describing the actual rod that operates the gear change. It runs from the shifter to the splined gearchange shaft on the gearbox, which is where the new 'original' type shift lever will attach. It's threaded to provide adjustment for the heel/toe shifter angle. Bear in mind that the original shift lever goes on 'back to front' ( ie the actual rubber grip is towards the rear of the bike) on the 'wings, rather than forwards like the CB fours.

Maz

Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!
Mudge

Post by Mudge »

Ok, thanks very much for your help.
I'm gonna go out and see what's what and hopefully get the old girl sorted.
Thanks once again for the help and advice.
At least its dry and partially sunny outside pity its not warm ...but we can't have everything even if we try lol
Maz
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz »

Good luck....It's like a Summer day here in London. :D

Maz
Mudge

Post by Mudge »

Its nice here in portsmouth but still a little on the chilli side, hopefully ill get this done we dont have any main dealeds here any more the hinda centre went pop a few years back and Trevor shut bike business down quite literally overnight about 5 yrs ago!, he was open as usual on the Friday but gone Saturday morning so no one trustworthy is left.
Belong to the VJMC but have not had any luck finding anyone from the local group to help me, I have asked but no luck so I'm learning as I go and I have to be honest its very slow going.
Anyway, thanks once more for all the help very much appreciated.
Maz
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz »

I'm a VJMC (Kent) member too. Chris Brealey and Andy Hodder from Hampshire are your local contacts and both great guys. Not sure if they have any Goldwing-owning members though.

Maz
Mudge

Post by Mudge »

Yep I've spoken with Andy and he told me he would find out at the next meeting if therecwss anyone who could help, I'm thinking that the answer to myvwuestion was no no one locally Anyway.
Anyhow, the red gl in the pic is the same as mine but a lot nicer, once minescall togetherbim going to restore it, respray the frame and swinging arm, and get the false tank and side pannels restored.
Mine's got alloy rims and mud guards, ive never sean that before...must beca yank thing?.
Maz
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz »

The rims were alloy as standard on the spoked rims. I've sent you a PM.

Cheers,
Maz
Mudge

Post by Mudge »

What's a PM?,
I've had the carbs ultrasonically cleaned and stripped them right out and put complete refurb kits in all of them but she runs like a sack of do do, I had this done and set up at bike moto of Portsmouth but still she runs like a dog!, the compressionmis bang on, New plugs,points carbs 're stripped and rebuilt set back up again and balanced but throttle response is almost like the choke is sticking on even though you know it isn't, she tries to die as if fuel starvation but one she's warmed up she ticks over quite nicely, but as soon as you twitch the throttle she tries to cut out, so, I'm not sure what's going on because when riding her she goes really well but its like the throttle sticks open, something odd going on here me thinks!.
That's why I'm looking for someone who really knows what's what, with these babies but unfortunately no one seams to be local, I luv riding this bike but its a nightmare trying to find a decentmmotorbike mechanic.
Nelson or Downey of Portsmouth is a definite no no for me had a very unpleasant run in with them a couple of years ago.....I would never go back there not even if it was a choice of laying my bike up or going to them I would rather lay my bike up.
Anyway I'm going to keep looking and learning...as they say your never to old to learn....just don't break anything lol
Maz
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz »

Sorry, PM is a Private Message. When you login to the forum, at the top of the page below the Search box it shows Notifications and Private messages. Your Private Message should have '1' next to it, for each Private Message that you get. Click on it and you can reply in private to the sender....in this case...ME :D !

Maz
gipsy42
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 A Champion Trike
1993 GL1500 SE
1978 GL1000

Post by gipsy42 »

Mudge wrote:,
I've had the carbs ultrasonically cleaned and stripped them right out and put complete refurb kits in all of them but she runs like a sack of do do, I had this done and set up at bike moto of Portsmouth but still she runs like a dog!, the compressionmis bang on, New plugs,points carbs 're stripped and rebuilt set back up again and balanced but throttle response is almost like the choke is sticking on even though you know it isn't, she tries to die as if fuel starvation but one she's warmed up she ticks over quite nicely, but as soon as you twitch the throttle she tries to cut out, so, I'm not sure what's going on because when riding her she goes really well but its like the throttle sticks open, something odd going on here me thinks!.
You have a great bike, but she need lots of love with your fingers tips!
Did you timed the points? Did you "synchronized" the carbs? Do you have a set of vacuometers? Do you have a technical manual?
Remember there are two points and four carbs, get all this in regimen takes time and patience for the DIY. I'll be glad to help with directions or ideas.
Mario
aka Gipsy42
And still riding...
I just regrets the things I haven't done.

http://www.surfcam.com.ar
http://www.cre-angeles.org.ar
Mudge

Post by Mudge »

Hi, yep, bike moto have done the cleaning and setting up of the carbs and replacement and setting up of the carbs and checked the valves are correctly set but she runs so unevenly on tick over.
I'm wondering if its not a case of either the mechanical fuel pump that's not putting enough fuel into the carbs or it may possibly be themignition coils.
I'm at a loss to explained why the throttle sticks open because the cables have been lubricated and are both run through the frame the correct way.
This bike was sat in someone's barn for nearly 25 years before I bought it and so far I have had carbs stripped and ultrasonically cleaned, New kits fitted to each carb, new motobat battery,New earth and main power battery leads, New ignition piece, New headlight because the original was missing, complete oil and filters changed, I have some new after market indicators to fit but first I need to get the auto electrician to sort out the indicator wiring because the connectors are all corroded and I want the proper connectors fitted not cut and splice the wiring.
I took this bike out for a ride and once on the open road she goes very very nicely but because of the sticking throttle or carbs or even both it takes some of the fun out of riding her.
Maz
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz »

I notice that you haven't mentioned having had the timing belts replaced. This needs to be a priority on any of these engines if you don't know when they were last changed. If they're old and the bike has been sitting, they WILL break causing valve and piston damage as a minimum.

Maz
Mudge

Post by Mudge »

Hi mas,
The timing belts were done at the same time as the carbs,valves,points, and plugs.
I must say though that the belts were in quite nice shape.
I'm going to replace the Ht caps and coils to seebufbthat makes her run better, as for the carbs I've bought a set of carbs that dame off of another gl1000 1976 and they are off being ultra sonically cleaned when I get them back I'll check the numbers and order up some kits and rebuild them then get them set up, hopefully that will sort yhingsvout?!.
If this does not sort out the issue then I'm going to get the single carb conversion done because I want to ride it not just have it sitting in my mother in laws garage looking pretty lol.
I'm going to put my u.k unmolested 1977 CB550 four k on ebay, it was stolen by some selfish kids who broke the steering lock and cut the ignition piece plug off, they obviously didn't know what they were doing anyway they dumped it in some bushes I got it home and just put her in the garage with the intention of fixing her up but the Gl is taking so much of my time and i kinda like riding the gl more than the cb.
Maz
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz »

Mudge wrote:Hi mas,
The timing belts were done at the same time as the carbs,valves,points, and plugs.
I must say though that the belts were in quite nice shape.
I'm going to replace the Ht caps and coils to seebufbthat makes her run better, as for the carbs I've bought a set of carbs that dame off of another gl1000 1976 and they are off being ultra sonically cleaned when I get them back I'll check the numbers and order up some kits and rebuild them then get them set up, hopefully that will sort yhingsvout?!.
If this does not sort out the issue then I'm going to get the single carb conversion done because I want to ride it not just have it sitting in my mother in laws garage looking pretty lol.
I'm going to put my u.k unmolested 1977 CB550 four k on ebay, it was stolen by some selfish kids who broke the steering lock and cut the ignition piece plug off, they obviously didn't know what they were doing anyway they dumped it in some bushes I got it home and just put her in the garage with the intention of fixing her up but the Gl is taking so much of my time and i kinda like riding the gl more than the cb.
I'm glad the belts were done. Don't be fooled by how the old ones look. They may even have looked brand new but, believe me, they would have failed very quickly.
Using another set of carbs is fine but, as I said in the PM, some of the passageways will not be cleaned without TOTAL stripdown, including removing the aluminium 'pucks' inside. Even then, it's very common to still have to run a guitar string (High 'E' is the preferred choice!) carefully through the idle jets. The slide pistons must move with NO binding whatsoever and will need to be carefully polished after ultrasonic cleaning, as will the insides of the piston chambers. The two air jets under the kidney shaped cover also have to placed in the correct holes - they will fit in either hole and getting them round the wrong way will affect fuelling. I hope you are buying decent kits, preferably Randakks, (yes they are expensive) as they come with replacement pucks, special plenum seal and all the seals required to seal each separate carb to the plenum. Oh, and they are immune to the effects of Ethanol in modern fuel as all the seals are made from Viton instead of rubber.

Sorry to hear about your CB550. Pure vandalism. I love riding my 'wing, but I also love having the choice of my other 3 bikes. They all have their own personalities!

Maz