Engine Guard in way of Water Drain Plug

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
swr1977
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing GL1000

Engine Guard in way of Water Drain Plug

Post by swr1977 »

Today was a winter maintenance day... first I changed the oil and oil filter for the second time since I owned my "Black Beauty" and thought I'd try flushing the coolant system and changing the antifreeze until I realized I couldn't get the drain plug out without removing the engine guard. After looking at the Engine Guard and how it's mounted I decided I don't really want to remove it if I don't have too!? Looking at the water pump housing and how the hose mounts to it...it looks like it's possible to remove it (two bolts) to drain the water but I'm wondering if there will be a gasket I'll have to replace? What is the best course way to go? See attached pictures!
Attachments

water pump/drain plug side view
water pump/drain plug side view

water pump/drain plug front view
water pump/drain plug front view

Engine Guard front view left side
Engine Guard front view left side

Engine Guard front view right side #1
Engine Guard front view right side #1

Engine Guard front view right side #2
Engine Guard front view right side #2

For Some there's THERAPY, for the Rest of Us There are MOTORCYCLES
RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Engine Guard in way of Water Drain Plug

Post by RBGERSON »

There is an o ring..see parts diagrams..at any dealer site..like this..very useful when figuring out stuff. I'd try loosening the guard but not removing it and see if it will give you enough room..

http://shop.westernhonda.com/fiche_sect ... veh=131058
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB
swr1977
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing GL1000

Post by swr1977 »

RBGERSON wrote:There is an o ring..see parts diagrams..at any dealer site..like this..very useful when figuring out stuff. I'd try loosening the guard but not removing it and see if it will give you enough room..

Thanks for the link to the diagram. That's what I though, I just don't know what will be the lesser or two evils... trying to move the guard without removing it or having to replace a o-ring?

Think I'll try to move the engine guard first but the last time I took something apart it took forever to get it back!
For Some there's THERAPY, for the Rest of Us There are MOTORCYCLES
SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr »

swr1977 wrote:
RBGERSON wrote:There is an o ring..see parts diagrams..at any dealer site..like this..very useful when figuring out stuff. I'd try loosening the guard but not removing it and see if it will give you enough room..

Thanks for the link to the diagram. That's what I though, I just don't know what will be the lesser or two evils... trying to move the guard without removing it or having to replace a o-ring?

Think I'll try to move the engine guard first but the last time I took something apart it took forever to get it back!
Makes me wonder if the "guard" is installed correctly.

A reasonable person would think that one would not design anything that requires you to remove it to do normal maintenance.

But as many have told me, I am often wrong.

They usually aren't guards but just make the bike easier to pickup if it falls over.