Gl1000 sometimes turns and starts sometimes doesn't

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
deanmonaster
Motorcycle: 1978 goldwing gl1000

Gl1000 sometimes turns and starts sometimes doesn't

Post by deanmonaster »

recently purchased a 1978 goldwing. It starts up sometimes but other times won't even click or try to turn, it can try to click when switching from 1st to neutral and vice versa.( maybe neutral safety switch?) also i need to give it a little gas when it tries to turn and i can sometimes get it to start and sometimes just feel like im flooding the carbs and cant get it to turn. My plan and advice I've gotten already was trying a maintenance free battery, change spark plugs, inspect start switch and apply dileletric grease and clean as well, Clean and inspect fuel spicket and gas tank then drain float bowls and inspect them as well as adding fresh gas ( think i may have flooded the carbs a bit trying to start it a bit earlier this week). Not sure what to do but I need help trouble shooting and correcting before I possibly take it into a mechanic :/ I'm concerned that a stator or alternator problem may be at hand and I don't feel confident in my mechanic skills to crack the engine and not fully understand the stator concepts. I tried to give as accurate description as possible I appreciate all the help. Pics coming soon going to trailer the bike to my apartments tomorrow so i can work on it.

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Re: Gl1000 sometimes turns and starts sometimes doesn't

Post by SnoBrdr »

deanmonaster wrote:recently purchased a 1978 goldwing. It starts up sometimes but other times won't even click or try to turn, it can try to click when switching from 1st to neutral and vice versa.( maybe neutral safety switch?) also i need to give it a little gas when it tries to turn and i can sometimes get it to start and sometimes just feel like im flooding the carbs and cant get it to turn. My plan and advice I've gotten already was trying a maintenance free battery, change spark plugs, inspect start switch and apply dileletric grease and clean as well, Clean and inspect fuel spicket and gas tank then drain float bowls and inspect them as well as adding fresh gas ( think i may have flooded the carbs a bit trying to start it a bit earlier this week). Not sure what to do but I need help trouble shooting and correcting before I possibly take it into a mechanic :/ I'm concerned that a stator or alternator problem may be at hand and I don't feel confident in my mechanic skills to crack the engine and not fully understand the stator concepts. I tried to give as accurate description as possible I appreciate all the help. Pics coming soon going to trailer the bike to my apartments tomorrow so i can work on it.
A bad stator wouldn't stop it from starting.

Could be a bad NSS but could also be a bad ground.

Have you tried jumping across the solenoid ?