Hello and Question

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
GL_Steve
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000

Hello and Question

Post by GL_Steve »

Hey all,

New member here and new GL1000 owner... Enjoying reading the posts on this site so I thought I would join and hopefully pick some brains and maybe share some wisdom...

I picked up a 76 on Saturday that has sat outside for some time judging by the seat upholstery.

The bike is still in the box of my truck and will be for a bit. My friend, whom I am renting from is a bit of a packrat has a lot of crap in his garage and we have to make some room for it... So, I decided to tackle the seat upholstery yesterday, almost finished it too, taking a break from the sewing machine tonight.

My question is about the steel seat pan, there are two reinforced areas about midway between front and rear, one on each side with nuts attached; what is the purpose of these nuts? The reason I ask is because the seat pan it quite rusted and I pondered the idea of just using it as a mold for a fiberglass seat pan with some steel reinforcement at critical points and wondered whether I need to include these nuts or not into the steel framework?

I'm fully capable of welding in new metal to strengthen and beef up the swiss cheese pan if I decide to go that route, almost half of the teeth that grab the vinyl to attach the cover are gone or so thin that they won't hold anything so I don't know which way to go, make a nifty new pan out of fiberglass or repair the steel pan, either way it is probably the same amount of work. What say you whom have dealt with this before?

Swiss cheese anyone?
Swiss cheese anyone?

Nuts in question...
Nuts in question...

Other nut
Other nut

Bike as bought
Bike as bought

Seat disrepair
Seat disrepair

New upholstery
New upholstery