Dynatek ignition odd issue (?)

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
what_the?!
Motorcycle: 1975 gl1000

Dynatek ignition odd issue (?)

Post by what_the?! »

This is ignition set number 2. First one failed by staying on.

This is what has me perplexed. I have it set up so at the F2 mark, the blue wire activates, perfectly on time. Then I turn the engine to the next mark, and I've got it set to spot on. I then turn the engine to the next mark, F2 again, and it's spot on. I keep turning to the next mark, F1 again, right? ..Its not spot in, its not even close. The test light comes on at about the The mark.
I can repeat this over and over. I can never get F1 right on what seems like 2separate F1 and F2 marks.
How accurate are the magnet positions?- mine seems off.

aussiegold
Motorcycle: 1975 Goldwing (No 8 to come to Oz )
1976 LTD cleverly diguised as an 81 interstate
1976 LTD.. a feller with 2 LTD's can't be all bad.....

Re: Dynatek ignition odd issue (?)

Post by aussiegold »

hello,
the dyna can be a good setup. but i have had no luck with the things. the hall effect magnet system is wildly inaccurate a lot of the time. cane be 5 to 7 degrees out as the bike is running. either way i reckon.
i have had three that all dropped one module leaving me running on two cylinders, i took to carrying points with me , so as not to be caught out.
i now run the C5 system in mine, and they have been excellent but a tad expensive. see here http://www.c5ignitions.com/c5-technology.html
i believe a fellow in Adelaide is making a similar ignition , here is a link http://www.trispark.com.au/

so get it as close as you can , and then i recommend carrying the points plate with you. :D
ps
upgrading the ignition is in my opinion the best single improvement you can do for these old beasts.. cheers, Maurice,
SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr »

aussiegold wrote:hello,
the dyna can be a good setup. but i have had no luck with the things. the hall effect magnet system is wildly inaccurate a lot of the time. cane be 5 to 7 degrees out as the bike is running. either way i reckon.
i have had three that all dropped one module leaving me running on two cylinders, i took to carrying points with me , so as not to be caught out.
i now run the C5 system in mine, and they have been excellent but a tad expensive. see here http://www.c5ignitions.com/c5-technology.html
i believe a fellow in Adelaide is making a similar ignition , here is a link http://www.trispark.com.au/

so get it as close as you can , and then i recommend carrying the points plate with you. :D
ps
upgrading the ignition is in my opinion the best single improvement you can do for these old beasts.. cheers, Maurice,

C5 is the best $$ I have ever spent on the bike.

It ain't cheap but includes everything you need.

Installing it was a breeze and timing it could not be any easier.
what_the?!

Post by what_the?! »

Thanks for the reply. This ignition replacement will end up costing me about $1500. Dynatek don't do refunds. The first module just died and stuck on. But because it had to be adjusted to actually fit, I doubt I'll get compensated at all. This second module just doesn't align.
Surely they shouldn't be able to sell these? By the time I get the first dynatek, with the coils and leads, I'm at close to $500 Australian incl shipping. The next unit makes it $900+ countless hours trying to time it. A C5 or similar makes this a really expensive excercise.
Hopefully the guy in Adelaide can help. Its great to know these people are local.
Thanks! I'm going to try them first before a C5.
SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr »

what_the?! wrote:Thanks for the reply. This ignition replacement will end up costing me about $1500. Dynatek don't do refunds. The first module just died and stuck on. But because it had to be adjusted to actually fit, I doubt I'll get compensated at all. This second module just doesn't align.
Surely they shouldn't be able to sell these? By the time I get the first dynatek, with the coils and leads, I'm at close to $500 Australian incl shipping. The next unit makes it $900+ countless hours trying to time it. A C5 or similar makes this a really expensive excercise.
Hopefully the guy in Adelaide can help. Its great to know these people are local.
Thanks! I'm going to try them first before a C5.
Supposedly Dyna is very good on returns altho I did not have good luck with them.

In another forum they claim that if you write/email to Dyna about your issues that they will sell you another one at half price.
what_the?!

Post by what_the?! »

Thanks mate.
I think I'll write them with detail and give them a chance.
I'll be sending them 2 modules.
Just getting them adjusted to time to a mark requires a whole load of time and patience. To see it then miss the second mark is very frustrating. It took me a while to work out what was going on. I kept thinking that it was drifting. But the timing depended on which magnet was passing. For 1 magnet, the duration was less than the other.
The only other thing I can think of is symmetry. If the module is off centre. I've checked both rotors and they look identical.
I'm guessing that at one point, the module might be just far enough from centre to delay the effect. Because it's on the 2nd module only, once per revolution. I did notice that it's possible to place the module further away from the rotor in some cases.
what_the?!

Post by what_the?! »

Dynatek has replied to me telling me that what im describing isnt related to their unit.

Is it possible that due to cumulative wear of all components, an ignition timing based on a single fixed position isnt going to stay aligned?- meaning that only computer controlled timing can get it perfect?

i cant think of anything else that it could be.

I've fired an email off to Randakk. Maybe he has an idea.