Bike will start but won't stay running

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
randomman02x
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda GL1000 (rebuild in process)

Bike will start but won't stay running

Post by randomman02x »

I'm still currently trying to get my 76 gl1000 put back together so I can go out and ride it once winter is over. I finally got the bike to run (kind of). I rebuilt all 4 carbs and cleaned them out well. Also put on new points and condenser for ignition. The bike gets spark and the battery is at 12-13 volts. I have the carbs set at 2 and a half turns out (what I read online for stock carb settings). The coils are original (as far as I know) to the bike. The spark plugs also all brand new. I do get a spark and the bike will start up but won't stay running any longer then 30 seconds. I'm unsure why it won't stay running and from what I've read online it could be a bad coils or both coils are bad and not producing a strong enough spark. Also the stator wires where cut from the wire harness and I've put them back together, could this also cause a problem if they're not connected properly?

I've been messing around with it for a couple nights and no matter what I do it will only run for 30 seconds and then it does again. It'll start back up but then die once again.

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Re: Bike will start but won't stay running

Post by Maz »

randomman02x wrote:I'm still currently trying to get my 76 gl1000 put back together so I can go out and ride it once winter is over. I finally got the bike to run (kind of). I rebuilt all 4 carbs and cleaned them out well. Also put on new points and condenser for ignition. The bike gets spark and the battery is at 12-13 volts. I have the carbs set at 2 and a half turns out (what I read online for stock carb settings). The coils are original (as far as I know) to the bike. The spark plugs also all brand new. I do get a spark and the bike will start up but won't stay running any longer then 30 seconds. I'm unsure why it won't stay running and from what I've read online it could be a bad coils or both coils are bad and not producing a strong enough spark. Also the stator wires where cut from the wire harness and I've put them back together, could this also cause a problem if they're not connected properly?

I've been messing around with it for a couple nights and no matter what I do it will only run for 30 seconds and then it does again. It'll start back up but then die once again.
This sounds like a fuel problem. Check for good fuel flow to the pump, with a full tank. If poor, check the filter for crud (put a new one on anyway). Check flow into the filter from the tank. If it's poor, check the petcock and gauze filters inside the tank.
If you have got good flow to the pump, check the pump output by spinning the motor on the starter with the pump outlet into a jar. You should see regular 'spurting'. If all this is OK, check the carbs float valves/heights. Remember there is a fine mesh filter in each float valve which needs to be clear - float valve seats have to be removed to get to these.
Maz
Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!
randomman02x
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda GL1000 (rebuild in process)

Post by randomman02x »

Maz wrote:
randomman02x wrote:I'm still currently trying to get my 76 gl1000 put back together so I can go out and ride it once winter is over. I finally got the bike to run (kind of). I rebuilt all 4 carbs and cleaned them out well. Also put on new points and condenser for ignition. The bike gets spark and the battery is at 12-13 volts. I have the carbs set at 2 and a half turns out (what I read online for stock carb settings). The coils are original (as far as I know) to the bike. The spark plugs also all brand new. I do get a spark and the bike will start up but won't stay running any longer then 30 seconds. I'm unsure why it won't stay running and from what I've read online it could be a bad coils or both coils are bad and not producing a strong enough spark. Also the stator wires where cut from the wire harness and I've put them back together, could this also cause a problem if they're not connected properly?

This sounds like a fuel problem. Check for good fuel flow to the pump, with a full tank. If poor, check the filter for crud (put a new one on anyway). Check flow into the filter from the tank. If it's poor, check the petcock and gauze filters inside the tank.
If you have got good flow to the pump, check the pump output by spinning the motor on the starter with the pump outlet into a jar. You should see regular 'spurting'. If all this is OK, check the carbs float valves/heights. Remember there is a fine mesh filter in each float valve which needs to be clear - float valve seats have to be removed to get to these.
Maz
Sorry for getting back to you so late I've been busy in my personal life and haven't had time for my bike. I finally took off the fuel pump and the whole inside of the pump was full of rust and the rubber gasket on top that is also connect to the fuel pump was very worn, had pieces ripped slightly and just looked pretty bad overall. And I do remember taking every single piece that I could've taken off my carb and replaced them with new parts, gaskets and o rings and cleaned the whole carb assembly in a parts cleaner and made sure every hole was clear. I suspect the fuel pump is my last thing to replace on the bike and after that I hope the bike will run. Thank you for the feedback defiantly saved me a bunch of head scratching and wasted time!
SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr »

randomman02x wrote:
Maz wrote:

Maz
Sorry for getting back to you so late I've been busy in my personal life and haven't had time for my bike. I finally took off the fuel pump and the whole inside of the pump was full of rust and the rubber gasket on top that is also connect to the fuel pump was very worn, had pieces ripped slightly and just looked pretty bad overall. And I do remember taking every single piece that I could've taken off my carb and replaced them with new parts, gaskets and o rings and cleaned the whole carb assembly in a parts cleaner and made sure every hole was clear. I suspect the fuel pump is my last thing to replace on the bike and after that I hope the bike will run. Thank you for the feedback defiantly saved me a bunch of head scratching and wasted time!
Have you checked the gas tank as well?
Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz »

Set up a temporary fuel supply, direct into the carbs. Just ensure the supply container is higher than the carbs. It should then start and stay running, provided everything else is OK.
Maz
Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!
RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Post by RBGERSON »

Yep you probably need to clean your gas tank..or you'll just be sucking more crap into your carbs. If you haven't already..There is a weep hole on the back under side of the pump if the pump is bad it will be dripping fuel out of that hole..if not the diaphragm is still good. Also the stops/tabs in the pump can get stuck..remove them and clean them up. Adding a temp fuel source is easy..pull the out tube off the pump hookup another longer tube and a temp gas supply to it hold above carbs if she runs you have found your issue.

To clean the tank you really need to remove it from the bike..a PITA but worth it in the long run. You could try to do it in place..drain all the gas, fill with vinegar let sit for several days..vacuum out with shop vac or use muractic acid(pool acid) 50/50 with water this is much more aggressive and can actually eat the tank..so 30 minutes tops and drain (shop vac again)..look inside..if clean your are done if not put it back in for a few minutes. And repeat. refill with gas right away..or it will rust quickly..Some like to spray oil or WD40 in there to slow the rust. All of this easier with the tank out but doable with it in the bike.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB
SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr »

RBGERSON wrote:Yep you probably need to clean your gas tank..or you'll just be sucking more crap into your carbs. If you haven't already..There is a weep hole on the back under side of the pump if the pump is bad it will be dripping fuel out of that hole..if not the diaphragm is still good. Also the stops/tabs in the pump can get stuck..remove them and clean them up. Adding a temp fuel source is easy..pull the out tube off the pump hookup another longer tube and a temp gas supply to it hold above carbs if she runs you have found your issue.

To clean the tank you really need to remove it from the bike..a PITA but worth it in the long run. You could try to do it in place..drain all the gas, fill with vinegar let sit for several days..vacuum out with shop vac or use muractic acid(pool acid) 50/50 with water this is much more aggressive and can actually eat the tank..so 30 minutes tops and drain (shop vac again)..look inside..if clean your are done if not put it back in for a few minutes. And repeat. refill with gas right away..or it will rust quickly..Some like to spray oil or WD40 in there to slow the rust. All of this easier with the tank out but doable with it in the bike.
I used a commercial tank sealer Por 15.
sfruechte
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Post by sfruechte »

Read through this link where some have successfuly rebuilt their GL1000 fuel pumps with $6 Chevy diaphragms.
http://www.forum.classicgoldwings.com/v ... 10&p=77205