Exhaust Pipes Uneven

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Exhaust Pipes Uneven

Post by Solina Dave »

I've got a '78 GL1000, and as you can see in the photo, the left hand pipe hangs about 3/4" to 1" lower than the right. I don't see an obvious reason for it to be this way. No bent mounting hardware etc. that stands out. And I'm wondering if it's just the nature of the beast, and that I've simply just noticed it for the first time, recently. Or, has anyone else noticed this on their GL? Especially another '78? If yours are all dead even, I'll have to dig deeper.

Have a look at your own bike and let me know........Thanks........................Dave

"Assume Nothing"
SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Re: Exhaust Pipes Uneven

Post by SnoBrdr »

Solina Dave wrote:I've got a '78 GL1000, and as you can see in the photo, the left hand pipe hangs about 3/4" to 1" lower than the right. I don't see an obvious reason for it to be this way. No bent mounting hardware etc. that stands out. And I'm wondering if it's just the nature of the beast, and that I've simply just noticed it for the first time, recently. Or, has anyone else noticed this on their GL? Especially another '78? If yours are all dead even, I'll have to dig deeper.

Have a look at your own bike and let me know........Thanks........................Dave

Backshot - Copy.JPG
I'll try and measure mine today but I never noticed any gap that large.
offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter »

I just measured mine and they sit even.
With the bike on the centerstand, I measured
13 1/2 inches from the floor to the bottom of
the exhaust outlet on both sides.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"
Solina Dave

Post by Solina Dave »

offcenter wrote:I just measured mine and they sit even.
Thanks offcenter. With a handle like that, I'm not so sure how much faith to put in you measuring skills. :lol: Just kiddin'.
That would seem to make a lot more sense. I can't believe that Honda would design such a precision machine, and miss that.
I'll have to give it a much closer look. It irritates me now, every time I see it.

Thanks again........Dave....................PS..It's almost good riding weather, if it would stop raining.
"Assume Nothing"
SnoBrdr

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr »

Solina Dave wrote:
offcenter wrote:I just measured mine and they sit even.
Thanks offcenter. With a handle like that, I'm not so sure how much faith to put in you measuring skills. :lol: Just kiddin'.
That would seem to make a lot more sense. I can't believe that Honda would design such a precision machine, and miss that.
I'll have to give it a much closer look. It irritates me now, every time I see it.

Thanks again........Dave....................PS..It's almost good riding weather, if it would stop raining.
Been out a few times this month but there's a lot of sand on the roads from the saltings.
offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter »

Solina Dave wrote: Thanks offcenter. With a handle like that, I'm not so sure how much faith to put in you measuring skills. :lol: Just kiddin'.

I've been a little off center for years. :D
I'm sitting here wishing it would START raining.
We need it to wash all that damned salt off of
the roads.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"
rzaugg
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by rzaugg »

Don't know what you know of the history of the bike, but if nothing is bent, there might be some missing parts.
Sometimes when people remove their headers, they don't bother to reinstall or replace the copper ring that acts as a gasket between the headers and the cylinder head. Worked on a 1200 once that was like that on the right side and was hitting the brake lever hard enough that it would not move freely. I'm guessing that the one that is lower, is missing those rings.
Solina Dave

Post by Solina Dave »

rzaugg wrote:Don't know what you know of the history of the bike, but if nothing is bent, there might be some missing parts.
Sometimes when people remove their headers, they don't bother to reinstall or replace the copper ring that acts as a gasket between the headers and the cylinder head. Worked on a 1200 once that was like that on the right side and was hitting the brake lever hard enough that it would not move freely. I'm guessing that the one that is lower, is missing those rings.
I haven't had a chance to investigate further, but I'll definitely keep that in mind when I get around to it.

Thank you :idea: ...............Dave
"Assume Nothing"
SnoBrdr

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr »

Solina Dave wrote:
rzaugg wrote:Don't know what you know of the history of the bike, but if nothing is bent, there might be some missing parts.
I haven't had a chance to investigate further, but I'll definitely keep that in mind when I get around to it.

I've found that without the copper rings that it's much louder.
Solina Dave

Post by Solina Dave »

SnoBrdr wrote:
Solina Dave wrote:

I've found that without the copper rings that it's much louder.
Well it runs quiet, the way it always has. The pipes were changed many years ago, and I haven't noticed any noise problems. The bike has tipped over on me a couple of times. I won't go into detail. So I'm thinking that maybe something might have got bent, and I'm just noticing it now. I'll have to have a real close look, soon. I'm really not that much of a perfectionist, so a range differential of plus or minus a millionth of an inch will be acceptable. :lol: Know what I mean?

Thanks again.................Dave

"Assume Nothing"