Tank Rust Questions

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
GL_Steve
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000

Tank Rust Questions

Post by GL_Steve »

Hey all,

Other than a two or 3 nickel to quarter sized rust spots, the inside looks immaculate. Do I need to worry about it? I've seen posts that say "ANY" rust needs to be dealt with.

I work in a plating shop so I have access to a vat of muriatic acid we use to strip rust from bumpers, which will make quick work of any rust removal, I just don't really want to remove the tank for 3 little spots of rust if I don't really have to. I was thinking I could place some absorbent cloths in the tank and use another cloth on a stick, lightly dampened with acid and just clean the areas with that if need be. There are a few small particles in the ounce or 2 of fuel in the bottom of the tank that I would just soak up with the towels and would get rid of that at the same time.

Thanks in advance.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Re: Tank Rust Questions

Post by dingdong »

If you can reach the spots with a swab, that's all you need to worry about. Good luck!
SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr »

GL_Steve wrote:Hey all,

Other than a two or 3 nickel to quarter sized rust spots, the inside looks immaculate. Do I need to worry about it? I've seen posts that say "ANY" rust needs to be dealt with.

I work in a plating shop so I have access to a vat of muriatic acid we use to strip rust from bumpers, which will make quick work of any rust removal, I just don't really want to remove the tank for 3 little spots of rust if I don't really have to. I was thinking I could place some absorbent cloths in the tank and use another cloth on a stick, lightly dampened with acid and just clean the areas with that if need be. There are a few small particles in the ounce or 2 of fuel in the bottom of the tank that I would just soak up with the towels and would get rid of that at the same time.

Thanks in advance.
Rust never disappears on it's own.

If you can reach them, treat them.
Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Post by Fred Camper »

Agree with the above. If the rust was under gasoline then it would be okay, but they did form so they were above the level in tank at that time. So do great them as best you can. A top coat is too risky.