75 GL1000 issues

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
mattyj513
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000

75 GL1000 issues

Post by mattyj513 »

Greetings everyone. First off, I am completely new to doing any kind of work on bikes, but do have mechanical/hands on background. I recently purchased a 75 GL1000. Started up fine, rode fine, no issues upon initial inspection. After purchasing, I ended up trailering it home due to inclement weather. Next day, starts up fine, let it warm up while i removed the windjammer installed on it and gave it a quick exterior cleaning, running for approximately 20 minutes or so, no issues. I hop on, hold the clutch, shift to first, release clutch, bike jerks forward and stalls out. Clutch has the correct amount of free play, went through the service manual instructions to confirm it did. Tried a few more times, same results, with the addition of the fuel and temp gauges ceasing to function, bike getting hot, and pissing out some antifreeze. I threw it up on the center stand and was able to shift through the gears without any initial stalling, rear wheel moved and accelerated fine, but if I applied the rear brake it would stall out when the rpms dropped. Any suggestions on where to begin? Again, I am new to this, so any and all info is greatly appreciated.

mattyj513

Re: 75 GL1000 issues

Post by mattyj513 »

Any help for me at all guys? To clarify when it stalls out it is immediate, not a gradual loss of power. Release the clutch after shifting into first, *thunk*, bike is off. I'm really at a loss here, don't even know where to begin.
Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz »

mattyj513 wrote:Greetings everyone. First off, I am completely new to doing any kind of work on bikes, but do have mechanical/hands on background. I recently purchased a 75 GL1000. Started up fine, rode fine, no issues upon initial inspection. After purchasing, I ended up trailering it home due to inclement weather. Next day, starts up fine, let it warm up while i removed the windjammer installed on it and gave it a quick exterior cleaning, running for approximately 20 minutes or so, no issues. I hop on, hold the clutch, shift to first, release clutch, bike jerks forward and stalls out. Clutch has the correct amount of free play, went through the service manual instructions to confirm it did. Tried a few more times, same results, with the addition of the fuel and temp gauges ceasing to function, bike getting hot, and pissing out some antifreeze. I threw it up on the center stand and was able to shift through the gears without any initial stalling, rear wheel moved and accelerated fine, but if I applied the rear brake it would stall out when the rpms dropped. Any suggestions on where to begin? Again, I am new to this, so any and all info is greatly appreciated.
You say it rode fine, so I am assuming you have actually ridden it yourself? Does the clutch feel different now to when you ride it? You say that it would stall out on the centre stand when the revs dropped, with the rear brake on - did you pull the clutch in? A wheel spinning on the centre stand has very little mass to stop compared to the full weight of the bike +rider that the brake has to stop once on the road.
Please don't take this the wrong way, just trying to get information, but have you been riding bikes very long?
Maz
Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!
mattyj513

Post by mattyj513 »

Yup, I rode it myself prior to buying. Clutch does not feel any different, I only applied the clutch on the center stand when cycling through the gears, not when applying the brakes. I have not been riding long, years back I had an 1100, pristine shape, bought from a friend and sold it back to him after a summer (he regretted selling and it wasn't an every day rider for me). I'm comfortable riding, shifting, etc, but never had any issues to deal with, so when it comes to diagnosing/fixing bike specific issues I'm as green as they come beyond general maintenance.
mattyj513

Post by mattyj513 »

Also, since initial post I've flushed and changed the oil, put in new air and fuel filters, topped off coolant, and added fresh fuel with no change/improvement.
Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (Historic registration - finally)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Post by Aussie81Interstate »

Two tests for you,

1. With the bike on the centre stand how easy is it to turn the rear wheel when in neutral (bike not running), and if you put it into gear (bike not running) and hold the clutch in is it the same degree of easiness to turn the rear wheel (you may need an assistant to help hold the clutch in while you turn the rear wheel. The rear brake could be binding on the disc?

2. As I'm wondering if the rear brake may be dragging or binding - I would put the bike in first gear - then zip tie the clutch lever back to the handlebar - now start the bike - and let it run with gentle prodding of the rear brake pedal - it could also be the clutch plates are bound up from sitting.

let us know the results...
Maz
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz »

mattyj513 wrote:Yup, I rode it myself prior to buying. Clutch does not feel any different, I only applied the clutch on the center stand when cycling through the gears, not when applying the brakes. I have not been riding long, years back I had an 1100, pristine shape, bought from a friend and sold it back to him after a summer (he regretted selling and it wasn't an every day rider for me). I'm comfortable riding, shifting, etc, but never had any issues to deal with, so when it comes to diagnosing/fixing bike specific issues I'm as green as they come beyond general maintenance.
If you didn't pull the clutch in when braking on the centre stand, it will tend to stall due to the reason stated in my previous post. It doesn't sound as if the clutch is dragging as you can put the bike in gear (with both wheels on the ground) with the clutch held in and it doesn't stall. How slowly are you releasing the clutch? Are you holding the revs up as you release it?
Maz
Maz
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz »

mattyj513 wrote:Yup, I rode it myself prior to buying. Clutch does not feel any different, I only applied the clutch on the center stand when cycling through the gears, not when applying the brakes. I have not been riding long, years back I had an 1100, pristine shape, bought from a friend and sold it back to him after a summer (he regretted selling and it wasn't an every day rider for me). I'm comfortable riding, shifting, etc, but never had any issues to deal with, so when it comes to diagnosing/fixing bike specific issues I'm as green as they come beyond general maintenance.
If you didn't pull the clutch in when braking on the centre stand, it will tend to stall due to the reason stated in my previous post. It doesn't sound as if the clutch is dragging as you can put the bike in gear (with both wheels on the ground) with the clutch held in and it doesn't stall. How slowly are you releasing the clutch? Are you holding the revs up as you release it?
Maz
mattyj513

Post by mattyj513 »

I have tried easing off the clutch and releasing it sharply, no difference. I got called into work today but will try all your suggestions tomorrow, and thanks guys, it really is greatly appreciated.
mattyj513

Post by mattyj513 »

Ok, on the center stand, clutch is adjusted so that when in gear and holding clutch rear tire won't spin on after braking. Ease of movement by hand is the same in neutral as in 1st with clutch depressed. Cycled through gears, applied throttle while braking to try to free the clutch plates if they are locked up, still no difference. Any other suggestions?
Maz
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz »

mattyj513 wrote:Ok, on the center stand, clutch is adjusted so that when in gear and holding clutch rear tire won't spin on after braking. Ease of movement by hand is the same in neutral as in 1st with clutch depressed. Cycled through gears, applied throttle while braking to try to free the clutch plates if they are locked up, still no difference. Any other suggestions?
I'm getting a bit confused here. If the engine is running and in neutral, when you pull the clutch in and select 1st gear, the bike doesn't stall until you begin to release the clutch and then, no matter how gently you feed the clutch in, it stalls. If that's correct, I'm thinking maybe the 'B' plate in the clutch pack has come apart.
Maz
mattyj513

Post by mattyj513 »

Ok more info. I had my son hold the clutch (on center stand) with it in first gear. I had him very slowly release the clutch with the rear wheel stopped. The wheel did not begin spinning until right after he had completely released it, and it did not gradually speed up, it sort of took right off. It seems it abruptly engages, could this be a symptom of the b plate coming apart? Could it be the clutch cable (or whatever comes after it) binding and releasing abruptly?
Maz
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz »

mattyj513 wrote:Ok more info. I had my son hold the clutch (on center stand) with it in first gear. I had him very slowly release the clutch with the rear wheel stopped. The wheel did not begin spinning until right after he had completely released it, and it did not gradually speed up, it sort of took right off. It seems it abruptly engages, could this be a symptom of the b plate coming apart? Could it be the clutch cable (or whatever comes after it) binding and releasing abruptly?
I think your best bet would be to fit a new cable anyway. It will involve removing the cover plate on the back of the engine (fiddly but do-able with engine in frame) which will also give you the opportunity to set the clutch push rod adjustment correctly too. Any further clutch investigation really needs the engine to be removed from the frame.
My '75 had similar symptoms when I bought it -the clutch engaged abruptly, accompanied by a graunching, squealing noise. A new cable and push rod adjustment cured it. It may, of course, been due to the bike sitting for a few years and a bit of use cured it, however, it's been fine for the last 10,000 miles.
The cable and adjustment option is a cheap easy place to start.
Maz
mattyj513

Post by mattyj513 »

I replaced the clutch cable and also the small spring inside the clutch cover page and looks like I am in business gets. Reset the clutch tension per the service manual and she shifts nice and smooth, no stalling or jerking. That little spring was something else as well, the rounded end on top had two distinct angles in it, I think that may have been a big part of the problem as it appears to have been hanging.

One more quick question, I have been going over all the wiring to clean up connections and removed the extra from the windjammer that was installed, and the only thing I've found that has me scratching my head is a harness under the seat/above the rear fender, it's just laying there disconnected, but my brake and tail lights work fine. Any idea what that's supposed to be for?

Thanks a million for the help guys, don't think I could have figured the clutch out on my own!
Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (Historic registration - finally)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Post by Aussie81Interstate »

Possibly for a trailer connection ?