New project and problems

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
JDubbs
Motorcycle: 78 GL 1000

New project and problems

Post by JDubbs »

This is my first post and I hope to share my project along with getting a lot of helpful info. About two months ago I purchased a 1978 GL 1000 it is in decent shape. I did not know anything about it when I bought it except that the carbs were in the middle of being rebuilt. The previous owner said he had run it about two years ago and that it was running rough then. I purchased it for $300 and began work. I rebuilt the carburetor's, and the bike, with little trouble started right up. I am having some problems with fuel height in the float bowl area but I will get to that later on in the post. After getting the bike to run decent after adjusting float height. The bike would no longer start. I realized my battery had gone dead. This is a brand-new battery and has been tested and is good. After doing some test I realized it was not charging.

This will be my first question.

I have 17 1/2 volts coming from the red and white wire that feeds the battery from the charging system. When I plug it into the battery terminal at the starter solenoid it immediately drops voltage down to 12 1/2 or 11 1/2 . Even at higher rpm's around the 3 to 4000 range it will not get above 11.8 or nine. So with a little help from an electrician friend I started going through the system and unplugging what was not absolutely necessary to make the bike run, therefore illuminating any possible shorts. Once I unplugged all of the extra electronics except for the right side handlebar array and the ignition coils the bike is now charging at 13 V at around 2200 RPM. What could be causing such a drain on the battery that it will not allow the charging system to keep up? That is my first question, my second question is this. Today after getting the charging system to work halfway decently and the carburetors to run pretty decently I took it out for a test drive. I have test driven it once before with no issues except that the battery died. When I got back from this little trip which was no more than three or four minutes of driving I parked The bike and tested the voltage which was at only 12.6 V sitting there idling. I proceeded to turn the bike off, when I did I still heard something running, at first I thought it was the sound of Pistons going back-and-forth in the cylinder without an explosion.

This is my second question

But then as I listened closer it sounded more like liquid. Then to my surprise as I turned around to face the rear of the bike a great amount of fluid had leaked out of the back of the engine(probably around 5-8cups). It literally leaked from I don't know where except the rear of the bike it pooled around the rear tire. It was definitely coolant. I cannot locate anywhere on the rear of the engine where the coolant might have leaked from. Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

And this is my third motorcycle I have owned. I enjoy fixing these old bikes. My previous two bikes were KZ 400s. This GL 1000 is a bit of a beast! But I am learning to love her quite exceptionally! And just so we have all our ducks in a row, I did replace the oil twice once after a short while of running the first time and then with good oil the second time. I also changed the coolant, fuel filters, fuel line, spark plugs, and air filter.

badandy
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000 Goldwing
1982 GL500I
1983 VT500 Shadow

Re: New project and problems

Post by badandy »

Check all your plug connectors for corrosion/bad contacts. Older bikes generally will get corroded connectors from just sitting and a little moisture present. The one to watch is the regulator/rectifier plug. Most just totally do away with the plug splicing and soldering the connections. If the plug is discolored/charred definitely fix that. Also check the ground connections to the frame. Same issue here.

Your second problem sounds like the radiator overheated. The over flow hose from the coolant reservoir exits at the rear of the engine. Get a new cap and make sure the cooling fan is coming on. I had to replace the cooling fan switch on mine because the previous owner had it hot wired to come on with the ignition.
JDubbs

Post by JDubbs »

OK, thanks! I will go through and check the connections. If I am getting 17.5 V from that red and white wire. Does that mean that my charging system is doing good? Or is it possible for the stater to produce that many volts and it still be bad? I understand the process of the stater the regulator and the rectifier and how they work in tandem to produce the right amount of power. I am however new to this. So I am unaware if it is possible for them to produce the correct amount of electricity and still be bad.
badandy
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000 Goldwing
1982 GL500I
1983 VT500 Shadow

Post by badandy »

That voltage sounds good. Sounds like got a voltage drop/draw somewhere down the line. Make sure the battery is full charged. A weak battery can create all kinds of weird issues.
JDubbs

Post by JDubbs »

That's what I figured. When you say a draw what exactly does that mean? And I am working with a fully charged battery.
JDubbs

Post by JDubbs »

I am trying to make sure my charging system is up to par. While the bike is running I get about 6 1/2 V AC between each yellow wire and the ground. Then when I go in between each yellow wire, yellow wire to yellow wire, I get about 11.8 V AC. I am getting about 17.8 V DC out of the red and white charging wire that goes to the battery. Are those readings within spec or far below? Also, how can I check to make sure the regulator is working? Could that be the problem? Any suggestions to what might be happening would be great!