Static fork clearance for a gen1 wing?

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
eightangrybears
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 - "Christine"

Static fork clearance for a gen1 wing?

Post by eightangrybears »

I have been having a bear of a time trying to get the front wheel back into place after rebuilding the forks on my 78 GL1000 and its because the brakes are binding. After trying too many different things that didn't work, I hit up the old googler...found that you actually have to SET the clearance when installing the wheel in the forks. So, it helps to know my bike and brakes aren't toast for some reason but now I need to know WHAT the clearance should be and from WHERE. I can think of probably 3 places on either side of the wheel that make sense to check the clearance at: you could mount just the caliper hanging bracket and measure the clearance from it to the disk, you could do the clearance on the inside of the fork at the axle or even on the outside of the fork at the axle. I read using a feeler gauge to set the clearance is the way to go, now I just need to know what the clearance is and where...

Any help would be awesome so I can stop pulling my hair out...thanks

1978 GL1000K2 - "Christine" - working on version 3.0 currently
eightangrybears

Re: Static fork clearance for a gen1 wing?

is it just maybe the same clearance on both sides? Like if I measured from the discs to the caliper hanging brackets and made them equal, is that the goal? I have a feeling they should be the same but something is telling me the offsets might be slightly different for each side for some reason...
skier
Motorcycle: 2002 Gl1800 77k miles
2006 ST1300 14k miles -- sold in 2020 to a 75 year old
1987 GL1200I 135k miles -- sold in 2020 to an 80 year old
2009 Honda Silverwing 16k miles -- the wife's scooter

Post by skier »

Rotor to caliper holder is 0.7mm, if I understand your question correctly.

eightangrybears

Man...I knew it was going to be in the manual. I thought I read it pretty thoroughly but obviously I was wrong. I also just saw the 0.7mm on a write-up on here describing how to take the front wheel off and replace it on a GL1100. The only thing I'm not 100% on with it is that my right fork is currently snugged up to my axle nut nut on the left side, the axle is sticking out just a bit (probably more than enough to move the caliper to the right position. I very much doubt the fork is bent though. I guess I can't be certain but I put a straight edge all up and down the fork tube when I had it apart and there were no gaps. Any ideas?
ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Post by ekvh »

Aren't words a pain? The one side can't be moved, right side I think. The other side, you grab the fork and move it onward or outward as needed to get the 0.7 measurement. Then tighten the axle caps to keep the space.