No power

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
Snake406
Motorcycle: 1982 GW GL 1100

No power

Post by Snake406 »

:?: so this spring at first start the bike turned over and wouldn't start..it drained the battery, so I did a quick jump which in turn fried the starter solenoid and melted the battery ground post and the starter just clicked. I found the lead from the starter to solenoid was loose.
I replaced the battery, starter and solenoid, as well as cleaned the grounding mount bolt at the frame/engine. After installing the new parts, the engine turned over 4 times, and then the starter just whirreled and spun. I put bike in gear and rocked it around. The bike fired right up strong. I let the bike idle as i put things back together. I was unaware that the battery would not charge in idle.. after 45 minutes the bike died with zero power. I checked voltage of the battery and it was 0.0
(This is where I learned the battery doesn't charge in idle) I pulled the battery and charged it over night. After installing the freshly charged battery I turned the ignition on and there is zero power. No lights in dash, no head lamp, no radio.. completely dead. I checked continuity between battery and solenoid, solenoid and starter and it was good. I left the battery in, turned off the ignition and went to research what it could be, which was fruitless. I went back the next day and the battery was drained to 0.0. WTF??? So there is what I imagine 2 issues- 1) a power drain...i checked the ground go frame and it's solid 2) there is no power when the key is turned on
Ugh...i am stuck... I don't know what to check first or where to go from even if I knew where to start

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Re: No power

Post by Maz »

Snake406 wrote::?: so this spring at first start the bike turned over and wouldn't start..it drained the battery, so I did a quick jump which in turn fried the starter solenoid and melted the battery ground post and the starter just clicked. I found the lead from the starter to solenoid was loose.
I replaced the battery, starter and solenoid, as well as cleaned the grounding mount bolt at the frame/engine. After installing the new parts, the engine turned over 4 times, and then the starter just whirreled and spun. I put bike in gear and rocked it around. The bike fired right up strong. I let the bike idle as i put things back together. I was unaware that the battery would not charge in idle.. after 45 minutes the bike died with zero power. I checked voltage of the battery and it was 0.0
(This is where I learned the battery doesn't charge in idle) I pulled the battery and charged it over night. After installing the freshly charged battery I turned the ignition on and there is zero power. No lights in dash, no head lamp, no radio.. completely dead. I checked continuity between battery and solenoid, solenoid and starter and it was good. I left the battery in, turned off the ignition and went to research what it could be, which was fruitless. I went back the next day and the battery was drained to 0.0. WTF??? So there is what I imagine 2 issues- 1) a power drain...i checked the ground go frame and it's solid 2) there is no power when the key is turned on
Ugh...i am stuck... I don't know what to check first or where to go from even if I knew where to start
Check the main Dog-bone fuse on the side of the solenoid. May be cracked (examine very closely to see) or blown. Are you measuring 0.0v across the battery terminals?
Maz
Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!
Snake406

Post by Snake406 »

On Thursday it started, and that's when after idling for some time it died..0.0 across the terminals.
Charged the battery. Put it back in on Friday and still no power on the bike anywhere. 12.9 across the battery terminals.
Left the battery in, on Saturday I went back to see if I could notice anything and checked the battery and it was 0.0 across the terminals.

I will check the dog bone fuse and the fuse box for possible failures....i would think there is a fuse for the dash, alternator and engine, but I am unsure
ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Post by ekvh »

After fuse checks, next likely failure point is ignition switch. There is a right angle connector at the base of the switch. If you don't have a hot on the red wire, your problem is between the battery and the switch. If the red is hot, but no other terminals get juice while turning the switch to run, it's the switch.

A simple connector can be made to run the bike, and is good to have should you ever lose your key on the road. Three male connectors looped to each other will do it.
Snake406

Post by Snake406 »

So are you saying to make a switch that can bypass the ignition?
ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Post by ekvh »

Kind of. I just make two pieces of wire about 2-3" long and solder them into male connectors. One in the red, one to ignition, one for lights. Of course you can't leave it there, but it gets you home or is useful in the shop when testing with switch not available.

A simple test light should tell you if this is your issue or not. However, if you have juice to the ignition, wiggle the switch around a bunch because they are often an intermittent.

I would send you a pic but this website doesn't allow me to send pics from my iPhone.

The switch can be taken apart and perhaps fixed, but at 40 years old, it's probably worth a new one. There are two kinds for 1000 models. You need to match what you have.
Snake406

Post by Snake406 »

Check the main Dog-bone fuse on the side of the solenoid. May be cracked (examine very closely to see) or blown. Are you measuring 0.0v across the battery terminals?
Maz[/quote]

If the dogbone fuse is shot, would that indicate a ground short somewhere? The solenoid is brand new...
Maz
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz »

Snake406 wrote:Check the main Dog-bone fuse on the side of the solenoid. May be cracked (examine very closely to see) or blown. Are you measuring 0.0v across the battery terminals?
Maz
If the dogbone fuse is shot, would that indicate a ground short somewhere? The solenoid is brand new...[/quote]

Assuming the dog bone fuse is part of the new solenoid, then the fuse will also be new, in which case, if it is shot, then yes there is likely to be a short. If the fuse was the original one, on the old solenoid, I would expect it to have cracked through age.
Maz
Snake406

Post by Snake406 »

Thanks Maz. Yes new solenoid. I haven't had cooperative weather this week to take the fairing off..rain and snow the last few days.. but I am hoping the issue is on the ground off of the cluster under the ignition and gauges.
Snake406

Post by Snake406 »

Maz wrote: Check the main Dog-bone fuse on the side of the solenoid. May be cracked (examine very closely to see) or blown. Are you measuring 0.0v across the battery terminals?
Maz
On the new solenoid there is a 2-prong fuse seated in the top of the solenoid directly ner you the starter and battery leads. It is my understanding that the dogbone fuse you are telling me to check is not this fuse, but a different fuse hidden on the side of the solenoid?
Maz
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz »

I assume it is not an original Honda solenoid ,in which case the blade fuse would be fitted in place of the old style dog bone. It's also possible that the connections in the plastic connector are a mirror image of the original Honda item so would need to be reversed.
I'm still bothered by the 0.0v reading from the battery though. Even a totally flat battery will usually show at least a couple of volts.
Maz
Snake406

Post by Snake406 »

I just realized today I had the leads connected incorrectly on my multimeter. Therefore I'm not sure if I had a zero battery or a charge battery, and I'm leaning towards charged
Snake406

Post by Snake406 »

:roll: well I found the issue... the new solenoid connection to the wire harness was faulty.. and by faulty I mean, not completed at a high enough standard .... the female disconnects in the new clip were pulled loose because of the tension due to the wires being a little short after cutting away the clip :P thanks to everyone for your input
Maz
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz »

Excellent result. You're back in the game. Time to get some more miles on the bike.
Maz
Snake406

Post by Snake406 »

Piecing it back together now. Maybe even wire in the rear speakers I picked last year :P