So many neutrals GL 1000 (1978)

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
bazit
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000 (Naked)

So many neutrals GL 1000 (1978)

Post by bazit »

Hi all
This is my first visit along with the first Honda Gold wing I have ever owned.
Now here is the question questions.
Neutral light stays on even when in gear also when changing up I have found I have a real neutral .
Next question, I have done a compression check (cold ) 150 psi on all cylinders is this OK?
After driving the Bike for about 10 miles I have found it not as powerful as my Suzuki gt 550 which would have pissed all over it ,do we have a problem or is this how they are?
Finally what sort of play should you experience in the drive train as it seems to have some slack on over run .
Any comments help etc would be great
Its got 57000 miles on clock and was an American import .It also says on head stock label 1978 model

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Re: So many neutrals GL 1000 (1978)

Post by SnoBrdr »

bazit wrote:Hi all
This is my first visit along with the first Honda Gold wing I have ever owned.
Now here is the question questions.
Neutral light stays on even when in gear also when changing up I have found I have a real neutral .
Next question, I have done a compression check (cold ) 150 psi on all cylinders is this OK?
After driving the Bike for about 10 miles I have found it not as powerful as my Suzuki gt 550 which would have pissed all over it ,do we have a problem or is this how they are?
Finally what sort of play should you experience in the drive train as it seems to have some slack on over run .
Any comments help etc would be great
Its got 57000 miles on clock and was an American import .It also says on head stock label 1978 model
The compression is fine on your bike.

You aren't seriously trying to compare a 441 lb. two stroke with a 600 lb+ GL100.

The GL is really made to run at about 70 MPH or over 3500 RPM, under that it loafs.

No idea what you mean by "slack over run".

Did you just buy the bike?

Do you know its service history ?

If not change those belts.
bazit

Post by bazit »

HI
Belts changed 2012 and has not run more than 1000 miles ,on the overrun after acceleration and backing off on the throttle the shaft drive seems to have a feeling as if it has a some slack .
SnoBrdr

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr »

bazit wrote:HI
Belts changed 2012 and has not run more than 1000 miles ,on the overrun after acceleration and backing off on the throttle the shaft drive seems to have a feeling as if it has a some slack .
Among the GL community it is a rule of thumb for both tires and belts that 5 years no matter the mileage they should be changed.

U-Joint could be an issue if you feel it has slack.

There is no known fix for a u-joint as they are no longer available from Honda.

You have to either find a good used one or get very creative.

Not sure what you mean by "on the overrun after acceleration".
SnoBrdr

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr »

I forgot, the neutral light staying on is probably the switch.

Can be replaced but is a real PITA so do so with the motor in the frame.
bazit

Post by bazit »

Thanks for your advice :)
badandy
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000 Goldwing
1982 GL500I
1983 VT500 Shadow

Post by badandy »

Neutral light usually stays on due to carbon build up in the switch. Mine does the same. Some have had success with running some seafoam in the oil for a short while to break up the carbon deposits. Try that close to your next oil change. I wouldn't run the seafoam for many miles. It really thins out the oil. The neutral switch is not easiy removable. You have to wedge the frame away from the switch to remove it after removing the engine mount bolts.

You have to be firm when changing gears on this bike. I seem to find neutral between 4th and 5th often.

Any compression over 120 is good provided there is little difference between values in all cylinders. Usually no more than 10% difference.

No obvious cause for not running well after warm. Could be choke not fully opening or ignition issues. i.e. old coils will break down when they heat up causing a weaker spark.

Excessive slack in the drive line could be the result of worn or deteriorated "cush drives". Rubber isolators in the rear hub that cushion the mating surfaces of the hub and drive assembly. Some slack is inherent in most shaft drive bikes. Its the nature of the beast. I had a V65 Magna that had noticeable slack in the drive line. It was considered "normal".
bazit

Post by bazit »

Hi
Thanks for all that info very helpful.I have now discovered looking thru all the service docs that the belts were changed in 2014 .also I have found out that the headlight is a Vetter so this bike must have been converted from fully faired to Naked.
Regards
Barry