Shelter side hinge question

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
BSArider
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000
07 Suzuki Bandit
61 BSA A10
71 Norton Commando

Shelter side hinge question

Post by BSArider »

My 78 GL1000 is missing the front hinges for the shelter sides on both sides. Not only are the pieces screwed to the covers missing, but the looped parts that would accept the hinge pins on the shelter itself appear to have been broken or sawed off. This bike had a Fulmer fairing mounted on it that would not allow the sides to open with it installed, and I'm wondering if the hinges were removed because of this? Looks like you might have been able to pull the rear hinge pin out and remove the cover with the fairing on but not the front? :?: Anyone run into this before? And is there an easy way short of replacing the sheet metal parts that the hinges were part of to fix it?
Thanks
MIke G

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Re: Shelter side hinge question

Post by SnoBrdr »

BSArider wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:42 am My 78 GL1000 is missing the front hinges for the shelter sides on both sides. Not only are the pieces screwed to the covers missing, but the looped parts that would accept the hinge pins on the shelter itself appear to have been broken or sawed off. This bike had a Fulmer fairing mounted on it that would not allow the sides to open with it installed, and I'm wondering if the hinges were removed because of this? Looks like you might have been able to pull the rear hinge pin out and remove the cover with the fairing on but not the front? :?: Anyone run into this before? And is there an easy way short of replacing the sheet metal parts that the hinges were part of to fix it?
Thanks
MIke G
Unless you can find some on EBay you are SOOL.

A lot of people took the hardware off or at least pulled the pins because of the faring, which as you know would not allow you to drop down the shelters.

You had to just unscrew it from the took kit and pull it off, made a lot easier if the hinge pin was off.

Not sure what you mean by "fix it". The large screw inside is big enough to hold it in place.

If you can find the hinge part, it's pretty easy and cheap to make up the pins, slides and stay cables.
BSArider
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000
07 Suzuki Bandit
61 BSA A10
71 Norton Commando

Post by BSArider »

Thanks for the info. So if I just run with the rear hinge and large knob/stud I will be OK? I don't so much mind the missing hinge as long as, without the fairing blocking the breeze, I don't get a buzz or flutter from the front of the cover....still can't understand why the heck somebody would saw off 1/2 the hinge though :roll:
SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr »

BSArider wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:23 pm Thanks for the info. So if I just run with the rear hinge and large knob/stud I will be OK? I don't so much mind the missing hinge as long as, without the fairing blocking the breeze, I don't get a buzz or flutter from the front of the cover....still can't understand why the heck somebody would saw off 1/2 the hinge though :roll:
Shouldn't be an issue.

There's a ton of them on EBay for under $20 for the pair.