No REAR turn signals or tail/brake light

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
dwarfel408
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 Goldwing

No REAR turn signals or tail/brake light

Post by dwarfel408 »

I recently purchased a 1975 Goldwing and immediately took it into the shop for reconditioning. This bike has a Vetter fairing. Mechanically, it seems to be running pretty well, with a couple exceptions. The main concern at the moment is that the lights in the rear of the bike are non operational. Neither the tail or brake light works, nor does the rear turn signal. The turn signals in the fairing do work. I took it back to the shop but they haven't figured it out. I have checked all of the bulbs and sockets. All are in perfect condition. Any suggestions on what to do?

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Re: No REAR turn signals or tail/brake light

Post by Maz »

The one thing common to all of the rear lights is the ground connection. Take a length of wire and touch one end to either the battery negative or the motor/frame and the other to the metal of the rear light mounting bracket. If the lights then work, you have found your problem.

Maz
Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!
badandy
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000 Goldwing
1982 GL500I
1983 VT500 Shadow

Post by badandy »

Corroded connections are very common in any old vehicle. I just replaced the "dog bone" fuse holder on mine with a modern spade fuse because of said issue. The stator connection is another common area where corrosion can be a problem. I have taken all my plug connectors apart, cleaned with contact cleaner and sprayed contact lube in them. It keeps moisture out and makes for easier disassembly in the future.

I don't want to sound insolent, but I hope you have deep pockets if you are having a shop work on your bike. You can go down some pretty deep rabbit holes on these old machines. You are lucky to even find a shop to work on anything this old. I have a friend at work who bought a 1990 Honda PC800 Pacific Coast who took it to our local shop to have tires put on. They said they would change the tires if he took off the wheels and brought them in. They did not want to be responsible for removing the cowling on his "old" bike to access the wheels.
SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr »

badandy wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:59 am Corroded connections are very common in any old vehicle. I just replaced the "dog bone" fuse holder on mine with a modern spade fuse because of said issue. The stator connection is another common area where corrosion can be a problem. I have taken all my plug connectors apart, cleaned with contact cleaner and sprayed contact lube in them. It keeps moisture out and makes for easier disassembly in the future.

I don't want to sound insolent, but I hope you have deep pockets if you are having a shop work on your bike. You can go down some pretty deep rabbit holes on these old machines. You are lucky to even find a shop to work on anything this old. I have a friend at work who bought a 1990 Honda PC800 Pacific Coast who took it to our local shop to have tires put on. They said they would change the tires if he took off the wheels and brought them in. They did not want to be responsible for removing the cowling on his "old" bike to access the wheels.
Mine were working great but I decided it was time to go to LEDs.

Bought the bulbs and the flasher but while the light would light up, they would not flash.

When selected the front bulb would go out and the back would dim a bit but that was it.

Sent them all back and put in the old bulbs which worked the day before.

Now the right rear blinker doesn't blink, it does light up, as it is a 2 filament bulb.

All the others work fine.

Should be fun chasing down this gremlin.
Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Post by Fred Camper »

Led lights need an led flasher unit. I run incandescent bulbs in the rear blinkers and LED everywhere else and the flasher likes that just fine. Keep in mind that there are 4 wire connections on top of the rear fender that you access by removing the seat.

Snobrdr, try another flasher unit as it may have been compromised by the LED trial. Another note about LED front blinkers, I had to use a diode (an electrical one way valve) in that circuit as there was something in the LED circuit internal to the bulb that did not play well when the opposite blinker was trying to flash.