1975 Gold Wing with faring

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
biker art
Motorcycle: 1975 Gold Wing, 02 Valkyrie.

1975 Gold Wing with faring

Post by biker art »

Hi everyone,I'm new here. Just bought a 75 wing and it has a Vetter faring. Over 42 years I have a snake pit of wiring which is so bad that I'm removing most of it and going to remove the fairing. My question is did these bikes come from the factory or where they put on at the dealer or owner. I'm not decided on putting it back on but if I remove the mounting frame It's not going back on since it's welded on. I just don't want 50' of wires all stuffed inside the faring. It looks so sloppy. Another question, is the stock paint available anywhere? Thanks for any help.

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Re: 1975 Gold Wing with faring

Post by SnoBrdr »

biker art wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:10 pm Hi everyone,I'm new here. Just bought a 75 wing and it has a Vetter faring. Over 42 years I have a snake pit of wiring which is so bad that I'm removing most of it and going to remove the fairing. My question is did these bikes come from the factory or where they put on at the dealer or owner. I'm not decided on putting it back on but if I remove the mounting frame It's not going back on since it's welded on. I just don't want 50' of wires all stuffed inside the faring. It looks so sloppy. Another question, is the stock paint available anywhere? Thanks for any help.
The GL1000s came naked.

The Vetter may have been put on at the dealer or by a previous owner.

Be aware that if you remove the faring that you will need several parts to get the bike to be street legal.

The first of which is the headlight bucket, headlight and the fork ears which support the headlight,

Then you will need directionals if your state requires them.

Paint is available but unless you paint the whole bile it will be hard to match it 100% due to fading after 42 years.
biker art

Post by biker art »

Thanks. The bike has the original headlight bucket still in place behind the faring and the signal light mounting ears are still in place on the fork tubes. The only thing to do it seems like is to figure out the wiring. I'll decide soon. I just got the bike this week and will not be riding it until next year sometime. I had a 02 Valkyrie that I sold after a crash and now am looking to ride again.
SnoBrdr

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr »

biker art wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:00 pm Thanks. The bike has the original headlight bucket still in place behind the faring and the signal light mounting ears are still in place on the fork tubes. The only thing to do it seems like is to figure out the wiring. I'll decide soon. I just got the bike this week and will not be riding it until next year sometime. I had a 02 Valkyrie that I sold after a crash and now am looking to ride again.
Should be a color coded wiring diagram on this site.

Can't remember the link but it's here somewhere.

Has the bike been running or just sitting around.
SnoBrdr

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr »

My bad, just click on Manuals at the top of the page.

All kinds of nice stuff to be found there.
biker art

Post by biker art »

The bike hasn't been ridden for awhile but the engine sounds good and mechanically it's looking good. I have enough experience with 2 wings,valkyrie and a shadow too take care of that stuff.I don't like electrical stuff. I don't know a diode from a duck.Heck I only paid $750 for the bike with saddle bags,tow bar, bag chrome rails an sissy bar with back rest.
biker art

Post by biker art »

Well I did it, removed the faring an now have to clean all the crap that has accumulated for many years,bugs ,leaves and just dirty. I'm keeping the faring off and going naked. Damn that bike was top heavy with all that stuff on it. I will replace any wiring that needs it and checking hoses. I have plenty of time so it will be a nice project.
biker art

Post by biker art »

What I could use is a picture of the headlight assembly showing all the parts. Is there any parts assembly diagrams from Honda?
SnoBrdr

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr »

biker art wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:33 pm What I could use is a picture of the headlight assembly showing all the parts. Is there any parts assembly diagrams from Honda?
Any Honda dealer with a online presence has a parts fiche with a exploded view.

It's also here in the Manuals section.
biker art

Post by biker art »

Thanks, I got it and went on Ebay an got a headlight assembly. Every where I looked I couldn't get the inner ring which is what I'm missing. I'm not doing a restoration just a clean up and back to operating condition.