1976 gl1000 stalls under load

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
Markraz
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000

1976 gl1000 stalls under load

Post by Markraz »

New to the forum. I have search everywhere i can find, but I still havent figured this one out.

I got the bike from a "friend".. it was sitting outside for a long while. He had converted it to single card (dont have the origional ones). He put a vw pict 34 on it. It also had dyna ignition with stock coils. I rebuilt the carb and installed dyna coils. The bike would start but not run. After lots of reseach i got the impression the pict 34 was to big so i put a pict 30/31. Lots and lots of tinkering and it will now start and idle, but as soon as i try to take off in 1st gear it dies. I have taken the carb apart twice now just to check (the gas tank was very rust before a cleaned it - the best i could). I checked the fuel pump and it seems to be working correctly.

I really dont know what else to try. Buying stock carbs is not really in the budget.

Anyone have any suggestions?

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Re: 1976 gl1000 stalls under load

Post by SnoBrdr »

Markraz wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:29 pm New to the forum. I have search everywhere i can find, but I still havent figured this one out.

I got the bike from a "friend".. it was sitting outside for a long while. He had converted it to single card (dont have the origional ones). He put a vw pict 34 on it. It also had dyna ignition with stock coils. I rebuilt the carb and installed dyna coils. The bike would start but not run. After lots of reseach i got the impression the pict 34 was to big so i put a pict 30/31. Lots and lots of tinkering and it will now start and idle, but as soon as i try to take off in 1st gear it dies. I have taken the carb apart twice now just to check (the gas tank was very rust before a cleaned it - the best i could). I checked the fuel pump and it seems to be working correctly.

I really dont know what else to try. Buying stock carbs is not really in the budget.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Did you clean the gas filter as well?

There are many pages on single carbs and the issues they bring.

http://www.randakksblog.com/single-carb-conversions/ is a good place to start.
Markraz
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000

Re: 1976 gl1000 stalls under load

Post by Markraz »

Yes i cleaned the screens that are inside the tank and i put a new inline filter as well. I read through that link and many others talking about how to set them up. I have the carb setup the way most of the post i have read call for.. 2.5 turns.