Stock handlebars to ultra-low Renthal

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
KCwing
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda GL1000

Stock handlebars to ultra-low Renthal

Post by KCwing »

First time on this forum and first time wing owner...Site looks awesome and lots of useful knowledge as a begin my bike transformation. Just traded my 75 Honda 500t for 78 GL1000. Looking to turn 78 into a cafe with slight mods. What problems can I expect by switching out stock bars with low Renthal bars? Will the cables be too long? Fit? Steering? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Re: Stock handlebars to ultra-low Renthal

Post by SnoBrdr »

KCwing wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:06 pm First time on this forum and first time wing owner...Site looks awesome and lots of useful knowledge as a begin my bike transformation. Just traded my 75 Honda 500t for 78 GL1000. Looking to turn 78 into a cafe with slight mods. What problems can I expect by switching out stock bars with low Renthal bars? Will the cables be too long? Fit? Steering? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Depending on how low you go, the clutch, brake and throttle cable can be a real issue.

Have heard posted that you can get them custom made but as soon as you say "custom" the price goes way up.
harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by harvey01 »

Once you have a good idea of the length involved, you might try Motion Pro and see what they have to fit! They will probably need an actual measurement not just your concept to give you good advice on what to get!
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often
Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Post by Fred Camper »

They can be modified yourself without much effort beyond snips and solder. Nice tutorials over at NGW Club with graphics showing through process. I did mine and the process worked great for the clutch, throttle and brake cable.
SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr »

Fred Camper wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:16 pm They can be modified yourself without much effort beyond snips and solder. Nice tutorials over at NGW Club with graphics showing through process. I did mine and the process worked great for the clutch, throttle and brake cable.
Good to know, I had not read about that before.
KCwing
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda GL1000

Post by KCwing »

I really do appreciate the reply's. I think I'll give it a try and post a pic or two afterwards. Thanks again fellas!