Electronic Flasher relay ground?

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
eightangrybears
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 - "Christine"

Electronic Flasher relay ground?

Post by eightangrybears »

So I just got an LED compatible electronic flasher relay to replace my thermal relay. The new one comes with a ground wire that the old one doesn't have. There is, however, an unused green wire going to the relay but I've heard it was only used on French models or something like that. Just wondering if I can tie my ground wire into that since the wiring diagram shows it as part of the ground wiring. I just don't know if it would mess anything else up or if it's just a straight ground wire available to be used.

Seems like a simple thing: Can I tie a ground wire into a wire that looks like it was intended to be a ground on an alternative version of the bike? I just don't want to fry the electrical system doing something stupid.

Thanks folks!

1978 GL1000K2 - "Christine" - working on version 3.0 currently
Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Re: Electronic Flasher relay ground?

Post by Maz »

The spare green is a ground used on the three pin flasher units in Europe. It's a ground.... Use it!
Maz
Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!
eightangrybears

Maz wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:52 am It's a ground.... Use it!
Awesome. Thanks so much. That'll make things a lot easier than feeding a wire through the shelter somewhere

Much obliged!
SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr »

eightangrybears wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:12 am
Maz wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:52 am It's a ground.... Use it!
Awesome. Thanks so much. That'll make things a lot easier than feeding a wire through the shelter somewhere

Much obliged!
Did you get the LEDs to work?

I tried and failed miserably.
eightangrybears

SnoBrdr wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:38 pm Did you get the LEDs to work?
Have to run out to get a blade connector for it but I'll be putting it in tomorrow. I'll update once it's done. I'm quite hopeful though...
eightangrybears

So I got it all hooked up and it works great. For the record, I tried one of those variable relays first with no ground and it did nothing. I put a grounded electric relay with clicking sound in and although I had to reverse the wiring (not exactly sure why they were backwards but they were) and presto! Everything blinks and there's a nice audible click coming from the shelter now.

Here's the one I got. By CEC, an LED compatible, electronic grounded flasher relay:

SnoBrdr

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr »

eightangrybears wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:43 pm So I got it all hooked up and it works great. For the record, I tried one of those variable relays first with no ground and it did nothing. I put a grounded electric relay with clicking sound in and although I had to reverse the wiring (not exactly sure why they were backwards but they were) and presto! Everything blinks and there's a nice audible click coming from the shelter now.

Here's the one I got. By CEC, an LED compatible, electronic grounded flasher relay:
IMG_8957.PNG
Where'd you get all the stuff?

I tried SuperBright and couldn't get it to go using their bulbs and flasher.
eightangrybears

Almost everything came from eBay and Amazon. I did one of those LED flexible strips with tail/turn/brake in the back and smaller flexible LED strips around the forks up front. I also have some tail/brake lights installed in the saddlebags and LED license plate lights. The one thing I DIDN'T do was running lights for the front turn signals (so there are unconnected wires now). The only running lights are tail light and head light. And I wired in two separate LED diodes into a retrofitted gauge cluster off some other vintage bike. I also put LED bulbs in all the gauges for some extra brightness and color.

But like I said, all from eBay or Amazon. Nothing special or fancy. I think this relay was the key to making it all work. Finding one that was specifically noted as being "LED compatible" was the way to go
SnoBrdr

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr »

eightangrybears wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:26 pm Almost everything came from eBay and Amazon. I did one of those LED flexible strips with tail/turn/brake in the back and smaller flexible LED strips around the forks up front. I also have some tail/brake lights installed in the saddlebags and LED license plate lights. The one thing I DIDN'T do was running lights for the front turn signals (so there are unconnected wires now). The only running lights are tail light and head light. And I wired in two separate LED diodes into a retrofitted gauge cluster off some other vintage bike. I also put LED bulbs in all the gauges for some extra brightness and color.

But like I said, all from eBay or Amazon. Nothing special or fancy. I think this relay was the key to making it all work. Finding one that was specifically noted as being "LED compatible" was the way to go
What was the Amazon part #.
eightangrybears

SnoBrdr wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:35 pm What was the Amazon part #.
I guess EF32RL. You can just search "CEC LED relay" and it's the first thing that comes up. $10.23 plus free shipping.

Here's the headline of the product:
CEC Industries EF32RL Electronic Turn Signal Flasher Relay, LED Compatible, 2 + Ground Wire Prongs, 12 Volts
SnoBrdr

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr »

eightangrybears wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:45 pm
SnoBrdr wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:35 pm What was the Amazon part #.
I guess EF32RL. You can just search "CEC LED relay" and it's the first thing that comes up. $10.23 plus free shipping.

Here's the headline of the product:
CEC Industries EF32RL Electronic Turn Signal Flasher Relay, LED Compatible, 2 + Ground Wire Prongs, 12 Volts
Thanks.