Valve cover gasket leak

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
KCwing
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda GL1000

Valve cover gasket leak

Post by KCwing »

78 GL1000 still leaking a little oil on the right side valve cover. I have replaced the gasket and tightened it up to the point I cannot go any tighter without breaking off the bolt. I have checked for debris or dirt and kinks in the gasket. Covers appear to be in good shape. I can't visibly see any shear marks. Still no luck. Has anyone else had this issue? Any suggestions? Thanks!

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Re: Valve cover gasket leak

Post by dingdong »

There is the possibility the leak is from one of the cam oil seals. The oil will migrate down to the gasket. You can also put washers under the bolt heads which will draw the covers down tighter.
SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr »

KCwing wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:49 pm 78 GL1000 still leaking a little oil on the right side valve cover. I have replaced the gasket and tightened it up to the point I cannot go any tighter without breaking off the bolt. I have checked for debris or dirt and kinks in the gasket. Covers appear to be in good shape. I can't visibly see any shear marks. Still no luck. Has anyone else had this issue? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Are these the original covers or after market?

Did you use good gaskets?

Did you over tighten the bolts and laten out the cover and/or gasket.

Is the head flat or otherwise in good shape.
KCwing

Post by KCwing »

Covers are original. Gasket is OEM. I'll check out the other stuff this evening and report back. Thanks
KCwing

Post by KCwing »

Head seems fine. I did notice the previous owner used a gasket sealant from the residue left behind. I cleaned it up meticulously. I have a parts bike and pulled the cover off it and tried using it on the running bike, still small leak in same spot on the very bottom where the oil sits. I then tried to use a thicker washer to clench it up a little more. Still same leak. Seems to me Honda should have used 6 bolts instead of 4. Anyway I am looking to use a sealant to fix this problem. Are there any suggestions as to what to buy? I have read where Honda Bond and Permatex is basically the same. Have you guys had any experience with either of these? Thanks.