compression check????

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
gfrench5@hotmail.com
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda GL1000

compression check????

Post by gfrench5@hotmail.com » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:50 pm

Hi guy's, Your thoughts, I have a 1976 Gold wing 45,000 miles, great shape all original good maintenance done, bought it from a friend and was running great for him. It sat for 5 years, carbs are now off and being cleaned. I checked the compression and it is even on all cylinders but only 95psi dry then 105psi with a little oil in the cylinders. All seems normal except low. What do you think it should be. Do you think once I get some miles on it, it should increase??? I double checked my gauge against another gauge and it seems to be correct. I'm a little concerned, should I be?
Thank you all in advance. Regards, Glen French

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: compression check????

Post by SnoBrdr » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:57 pm

gfrench5@hotmail.com wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:50 pm
Hi guy's, Your thoughts, I have a 1976 Gold wing 45,000 miles, great shape all original good maintenance done, bought it from a friend and was running great for him. It sat for 5 years, carbs are now off and being cleaned. I checked the compression and it is even on all cylinders but only 95psi dry then 105psi with a little oil in the cylinders. All seems normal except low. What do you think it should be. Do you think once I get some miles on it, it should increase??? I double checked my gauge against another gauge and it seems to be correct. I'm a little concerned, should I be?
Thank you all in advance. Regards, Glen French
Often the compression goes up as the engine is run and the rings get freed up.

gfrench5@hotmail.com
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda GL1000

Re: compression check????

Post by gfrench5@hotmail.com » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:09 pm

Thanks, I kinda was leaning that way. I checked the valve clearance and some where a little tight 2-3 thou. Reset them at 4thou. Then checked compression again but no change. Some idiot service tech. ( always done in a shop..) Over tightened one off the valve cover bolts ( don't do this they barely need any pressure) and semi sheared it when I went to reinstall using a 3inch handle 3/8 drive naturally it broke deep in the head. Luckily I retapped it with a 6mm by 1mm and it's now OK. Once again a 20min. job took a couple hours. Just my luck. Thanks Guys, Glen French