NO START solenoid clicks but no turnover. whats wrong?

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Gdonlo04
Motorcycle: 1975 gl1000

NO START solenoid clicks but no turnover. whats wrong?

Post by Gdonlo04 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:36 pm

1975 GL 1000. Power is on, bike is in neutral, starter switch turned to run, gas is on, battery is fully charges. connections are tight, connectors cleaned with small brass wire brush, brand new starter. checked new starter with jumper cable before installation. all fuses checked and good.
when i press my start button my solenoid clicks but no start. is my solenoid bad?

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: NO START solenoid clicks but no turnover. whats wrong?

Post by dingdong » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:17 am

Take a voltage measurement at the starter post. If you have 12 or near that then starter is the problem. You can also short across the two large terminals of the solenoid to test. You say you have a new starter. There are a few starters on ebay that fail the first time a load is placed on them. The planetary gear inside breaks.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Gdonlo04
Motorcycle: 1975 gl1000

Post by Gdonlo04 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:14 am

I did a voltage meter to the posts while they were attached to the battery. it did read 12. so I thought my reading was wrong and I was doing this incorrectly.
what does short across the 2 large terminals mean? sorry new to wiring. I tested my starter x 2 with jumper cables before installation. do you think it still could fail?

eklimek
Motorcycle: 81, 82, 83GL1100 in stasis, CB350f x many, (CB400f x2 -sold cb550 -sold) 2012 cbr250 gymkhana, 2017 cb500x daily driver

Post by eklimek » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:41 pm

The solenoid is a heavy duty switch to activate the start motor. If you can make the starter turn over by direct connection to a battery, you have eliminated it as the cause of the problem.

Work back from there and ensure the connections to the solenoid are clean.

The solenoid may be internally corroded. Sand paper fixes it.

If you choose to take it apart desolder the fine wire before opening. I have neglected to do so and ripped the coil wire too short to salvage.

The minimm voltage requirement may be misleading in that the starter draws a lot and amperage is also required. If the voltage drops with solenoid activated it suggests amperage is also inadequate. The electrical source may be adequate to “click” the solenoid but nothing more. Have’t we all been there before? ( Playing the radio with your favourite date at night and no juice to get back.)