Wont Start... Bad Dyna III Electronic Ignition Box?


Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Post Reply
User avatar
swr1977
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:18 am
Location: Puyallup, Washington, USA
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing GL1000
Contact:

Wont Start... Bad Dyna III Electronic Ignition Box?

Post by swr1977 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:35 pm



Can anyone tell me if it's possible to test if the Dyna III electronic ignition box is working correctly? I started my bike this-morning and it ran fine.... got ready for my ride... went to restart I have no spark... I checked the coils and there are fine... bike has new plugs and timing belts... they are fine... checked static timing with a test light and nothing... nether blue or yellow wires light on ether F1 or F2 timing marks! Any Help or Suggestions are greatly appreciated! If you have Facebook please comment here then PM me!
Attachments




For Some there's THERAPY, for the Rest of Us There are MOTORCYCLES

User avatar
ekvh
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:52 am
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Re: Wont Start... Bad Dyna III Electronic Ignition Box?

Post by ekvh » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:40 pm

With just a test light, do you have power going into the box? Red wire, I think.

The early ones were often powered through the turn signal, so a blown fuse results in a dead bike.

There is a test procedure at DynaTechonline. I’ll try and locate it for you.

Dyna is great to test it for you, but it takes time.


User avatar
Fred Camper
Posts: 1310
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:15 pm
Location: Metro Detroit, MI
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Re: Wont Start... Bad Dyna III Electronic Ignition Box?

Post by Fred Camper » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:19 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but seems to me the dyna 3 in the picture is of 1980 vintage. My guess is that it has aged and it is time to replace with a newer Dyan S.

User avatar
swr1977
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:18 am
Location: Puyallup, Washington, USA
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing GL1000
Contact:

Re: Wont Start... Bad Dyna III Electronic Ignition Box?

Post by swr1977 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:35 pm

Fred Camper wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:19 pm
Correct me if I am wrong, but seems to me the dyna 3 in the picture is of 1980 vintage. My guess is that it has aged and it is time to replace with a newer Dyan S.
Yes my ride is a 1978 GL1000

I did find the problem being a loose power wire going to it... just got home from a 100 mile ride. Wondering about the Dyan S ? how much ? and would it be to my advantage to upgrade?
For Some there's THERAPY, for the Rest of Us There are MOTORCYCLES

User avatar
swr1977
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:18 am
Location: Puyallup, Washington, USA
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing GL1000
Contact:

Re: Wont Start... Bad Dyna III Electronic Ignition Box?

Post by swr1977 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:36 pm

ekvh wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:40 pm
With just a test light, do you have power going into the box? Red wire, I think.

The early ones were often powered through the turn signal, so a blown fuse results in a dead bike.

There is a test procedure at DynaTechonline. I’ll try and locate it for you.

Dyna is great to test it for you, but it takes time.
Thanks! I did find the problem being a loose power wire going to it... just got home from a 100 mile ride.
For Some there's THERAPY, for the Rest of Us There are MOTORCYCLES

User avatar
Fred Camper
Posts: 1310
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:15 pm
Location: Metro Detroit, MI
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Re: Wont Start... Bad Dyna III Electronic Ignition Box?

Post by Fred Camper » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:30 pm

Over $100 if I recall. Not urgent but you may need one before the end of the season. Usually it will drop to two cylinder mode when hot as it ages further.

User avatar
dingdong
Posts: 3412
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:35 am
Location: Oklahoma City
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Wont Start... Bad Dyna III Electronic Ignition Box?

Post by dingdong » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:49 am

Since you found the problem to be just a loose wire there is no reason to think it will fail. I suggest you let it go for another 20 years. The newer models seem to have a higher failure rate than the old.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

User avatar
swr1977
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:18 am
Location: Puyallup, Washington, USA
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing GL1000
Contact:

Re: Wont Start... Bad Dyna III Electronic Ignition Box?

Post by swr1977 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:40 am

dingdong wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:49 am
Since you found the problem to be just a loose wire there is no reason to think it will fail. I suggest you let it go for another 20 years. The newer models seem to have a higher failure rate than the old.
Good to know... Thanks!
For Some there's THERAPY, for the Rest of Us There are MOTORCYCLES

User avatar
ekvh
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:52 am
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Re: Wont Start... Bad Dyna III Electronic Ignition Box?

Post by ekvh » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:48 am

The Dyna 111 are very reliable. The next generation has issues with solder coming undone under a black cover on the plate assembly. The newest version has been out 3-4 years, I think and it is solid state. I have heard of only one failure with them.

Personally I think the older Goldwings charging system may have more to with the failures. It probably is worth it to check voltages under load for failing regulators to protect the unit. Dyna doesn’t offer a big warranty, one year, but has a reputation of offering a new one at half of retail if it tests bad.

User avatar
swr1977
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:18 am
Location: Puyallup, Washington, USA
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing GL1000
Contact:

Re: Wont Start... Bad Dyna III Electronic Ignition Box?

Post by swr1977 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:00 am

ekvh wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:48 am
The Dyna 111 are very reliable. The next generation has issues with solder coming undone under a black cover on the plate assembly. The newest version has been out 3-4 years, I think and it is solid state. I have heard of only one failure with them.

Personally I think the older Goldwings charging system may have more to with the failures. It probably is worth it to check voltages under load for failing regulators to protect the unit. Dyna doesn’t offer a big warranty, one year, but has a reputation of offering a new one at half of retail if it tests bad.
Funny you should mention failing regulators... I did notice on my ride that my voltage would drop to 11-12 volts and then a bit later would be back up to 14... I think ether my regulator or generator is on it's way out!


For Some there's THERAPY, for the Rest of Us There are MOTORCYCLES

Post Reply