would leaky petcock cause this?

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
woodsv
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 Vetter dressed
1988 GL1500 Canadian Edition

would leaky petcock cause this?

Post by woodsv » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:09 pm

Hi. I am trying to diag my 1978 GL1000. Last year, after storage which was done using fuel stabilizer, my bike was running like crap. I noticed a weeping around the petcock but no dripping. the bike was running but had no power to mention. it could put around on low throttle but cracked and banged with any amount of throttle input. I pulled the wires and realized that there was no fire on one set of cylinders. I swapped coils and determined they are in fact fine. I believe they are ruled out. I changed plugs and it seemed to get worse and I did gap properly. actually they were on spec as I recall. now this year after coming out of storage the bike starts but is knocking. I don't believe it is a bearing knock or that kind of thing but rather a misfire knock. I'm alright when it comes to worki g on bikes and have torn engines apart as well as carbs and have rebuilt both so I am mechanical. but I'm kind of mystified with this. I know even these old GL's are complex so I figured I'd ask experience before messing with it any further. I have a newer 1500 so I'm not stuck for a bike but I really do love this old powerhouse(that's what she felt like before this happened) and want to have her running nicely. BTW I do know the belts are good and they do not appear to have jumped. nice and snug in their place. I asked about the petcock as that's the most trivial thing I can relate this to but I know from reading thru this site that it can be any number or any combination of things. thanks for any and all input.
as an add on I'm aware that perhaps it might be a carb issue but I'm not convinced that might be it or at least all of it. and I'm not the least bit excited about digging into those.