Side covers and resto-mod for GL1000

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
lear45jim
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000

Side covers and resto-mod for GL1000

Post by lear45jim »

Well I am sad to say that while trailering my blue GL1000 to the NC mountains for two days of riding, the right side cover blew off and is forever gone. It stayed attached at the screw but came loose at the upper attachments and broke. It's a real shame since the plastic on my bike is in unusually great condition. I am now looking to replace it and as to be expected, they are rare. Can anyone tell me if I can replace them with anything other than GL1000 covers? I would be willing to replace both sides so they match. For example, do GL1100 covers work?

Next topic. I loved riding my bike in the mountains last weekend. I love the looks I get when people try to figure out what I am riding. I have a special connection to this bike since it was my Dad's and I will keep it as long as possible. I would however like to do some additional work to improve the bikes handling and safety. I believe improvement could be made to the brakes, suspension and lighting, all of which are original. I know it will never be a crotch rocket and at 58 years old I have no intentions of riding it like one. I would like to make tasteful improvements though.

To be specific, I feel like the suspension on my bike does little to soften bumps and I am quite jarred by them. Is that normal? The brakes were part of my rebuild, and they work well, but it seems I have difficulty after riding in the rain. The calipers have gotten water in which rusts and causes sticking. It seems to me it would be worth the money and effort to completely upgrade the brakes front and rear. Is ABS an option? As far as lighting, any suggestions would be appreciated.

The bike is very stock at the moment. I originally restored it that way not knowing how much I would ride it. Now, I would like to make improvements for comfort, handling and safety while keeping the general cool character of the GL1000.

Thanks very much for reading and I appreciate any feedback.

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Re: Side covers and resto-mod for GL1000

Post by SnoBrdr »

lear45jim wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:25 pm Well I am sad to say that while trailering my blue GL1000 to the NC mountains for two days of riding, the right side cover blew off and is forever gone. It stayed attached at the screw but came loose at the upper attachments and broke. It's a real shame since the plastic on my bike is in unusually great condition. I am now looking to replace it and as to be expected, they are rare. Can anyone tell me if I can replace them with anything other than GL1000 covers? I would be willing to replace both sides so they match. For example, do GL1100 covers work?

Next topic. I loved riding my bike in the mountains last weekend. I love the looks I get when people try to figure out what I am riding. I have a special connection to this bike since it was my Dad's and I will keep it as long as possible. I would however like to do some additional work to improve the bikes handling and safety. I believe improvement could be made to the brakes, suspension and lighting, all of which are original. I know it will never be a crotch rocket and at 58 years old I have no intentions of riding it like one. I would like to make tasteful improvements though.

To be specific, I feel like the suspension on my bike does little to soften bumps and I am quite jarred by them. Is that normal? The brakes were part of my rebuild, and they work well, but it seems I have difficulty after riding in the rain. The calipers have gotten water in which rusts and causes sticking. It seems to me it would be worth the money and effort to completely upgrade the brakes front and rear. Is ABS an option? As far as lighting, any suggestions would be appreciated.

The bike is very stock at the moment. I originally restored it that way not knowing how much I would ride it. Now, I would like to make improvements for comfort, handling and safety while keeping the general cool character of the GL1000.

Thanks very much for reading and I appreciate any feedback.
No the 1100s are different as are the 78-79 years.

On the 78-79s, the mounting tabs are different compared to the earlier years.

You are somewhat "lucky" that it was the right side. Those are much easier to find than the left as it covers the battery and are often not put back on properly.

You can also make up a strap, or buy one to stop this from happening in the future.

For the headlight, if you have a H4 setup, it's a easy thing to switch to a LED setup.

If you have the sealed beam like I do, it's much more $$$ as you have to buy a whole new housing.

Never heard of anyone putting ABS on these bikes but anything is possible if you have a blank check.

I just upgraded my front calipers to double pistons from another Honda model but while it can be done on the spoked wheels, I'm told it requires much more work.

Do you still have the original rear shocks on?

Are your front fork seals in good shape and if so have you changed the fork oil.

You really can't check the level so it's just easier to change the oil in toto.
rudolphwolven
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 K1

Post by rudolphwolven »

BTW: both of my sidecovers (inside) are attached to the frame with a small nylon rope ............you never know
Last edited by rudolphwolven on Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud winner of the NGWClub-USA contest Bike of the Year 2016--Image
SnoBrdr

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr »

rudolphwolven wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:52 pm

NOS-new for € 110,- excl. transport

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anz ... 2-306-9483

BTW: both of my sidecovers (inside) are attached to the frame with a small nylon rope ............you never know
You can get them used on Ebay for $40 and they come with the mounting hardware.
lear45jim
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000

Post by lear45jim »

Thanks for the posts.
SnoBrdr...I have seen some beat up side covers on ebay, I will continue to look. I am running a sealed beam. I will experiment with the aiming to see if I can get some improvement. I like my spoked wheels and will continue to look for brake mods that will utilize them. I am interest in your comments about suspension.

I rebuilt the front forks this summer with new OE seals and Honda fork oil. I filled to the lowest recommended level with the thought that it is easier to add than remove excess oil. And to answer your question about the rear shocks...they are original 1975 with 26,000 miles. I may need to find replacement shocks for the rear. The springs appear to be fine. Any suggestions how to test the springs and shocks?
SnoBrdr

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr »

lear45jim wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:26 pm Thanks for the posts.
SnoBrdr...I have seen some beat up side covers on ebay, I will continue to look. I am running a sealed beam. I will experiment with the aiming to see if I can get some improvement. I like my spoked wheels and will continue to look for brake mods that will utilize them. I am interest in your comments about suspension.

I rebuilt the front forks this summer with new OE seals and Honda fork oil. I filled to the lowest recommended level with the thought that it is easier to add than remove excess oil. And to answer your question about the rear shocks...they are original 1975 with 26,000 miles. I may need to find replacement shocks for the rear. The springs appear to be fine. Any suggestions how to test the springs and shocks?
Really no way to accurately test them that I'm aware of.

But after 40+ years they probably are shot.

They were built to be rebuilt but there are no parts available for them

A lot really depends on what kind of riding you do and how much weight you carry,

As for the front brakes, about the only thing you can do is replace the master cylinder with a 5/8 in bore master that fits 7/8 handle bars.