Removing kick-starter

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
Capt_Vitty
Motorcycle: Golding

Removing kick-starter

Post by Capt_Vitty »

I am attempting to remove a frozen in place kick starter using pent rating oil and tapping. Not having much success. Any suggestions?

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Re: Removing kick-starter

Post by SnoBrdr »

Capt_Vitty wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:56 pm I am attempting to remove a frozen in place kick starter using pent rating oil and tapping. Not having much success. Any suggestions?[spotwalla][/spotwalla]
If that dosen't work and you have to give it a bit of time.

Keep spraying and try to work it out, other than that you may have to remove the engine to disassemble it.
Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Post by Fred Camper »

So the engine turns over but not the kick mechanism? I would either leave it alone as they never get used or keep the penetrating oil and tapping. Pretty sure you can remove that rear cover if desired for a deeper soak.
Capt_Vitty

Post by Capt_Vitty »

Thanks for your suggestions I will keep using penetrating oil and tapping. It's been about a week now every two days or so I spray some oil and tap for a while and do it again giving it some time to work.
tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper »

What kind of penetrating oil are you using? Back when I was restoring 1950's Farmall Cubs, the oil to use was PB Blaster, with some guys swearing by Kroil.

I've seen PB Blaster work some miracles, along with a small torch (and sometimes a bigger hammer).
'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2
Capt_Vitty

Post by Capt_Vitty »

I am using a product called thrust made by Castle. I will also go back to trying PB Blaster. Thanks for your input..