Leak at oil level inspection window

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
BevoBowen
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000

Leak at oil level inspection window

Post by BevoBowen » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:55 pm

My ‘76 GL1000 has a slow, yet persistent leak at the window. Is there a way to stop this in situ (without engine removal) and still preserve function? I like the window and wiper, despise the leak. If impossible to preserve function, what is the best way to plug that cavity? Then, I suppose I get an aftermarket dip stick as alternative! Source for that? Interested in replies from folks who have actually had this situation and came up with successful remedy.

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Re: Leak at oil level inspection window

Post by Solina Dave » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:39 pm

BevoBowen wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:55 pm
My ‘76 GL1000 has a slow, yet persistent leak at the window. Is there a way to stop this in situ (without engine removal) and still preserve function? I like the window and wiper, despise the leak. If impossible to preserve function, what is the best way to plug that cavity? Then, I suppose I get an aftermarket dip stick as alternative! Source for that? Interested in replies from folks who have actually had this situation and came up with successful remedy.
This comment may not be what you want to hear, but I think it might depend on how badly it's leaking. You say it's a slow leak. I've had the same '78 GL since it was new, and probably 10 or 15 years ago I first noticed some slight weepage of oil on the sight-glass window. But it never got any worse, so I just clean it off occasionally, and live with it. If it was leaking oil onto the floor I might be concerned. Or, if I were a hard-core purist, I would probably have to deal with it. But that's not the case. It would have to be a very serious problem before I would consider engine removal.

Good luck.........Cheers...Dave.............................PS...Welcome to the forum.
"Assume Nothing"

kndw
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 Gran' Luxe

Re: Leak at oil level inspection window

Post by kndw » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:41 pm

I don't have any advice on how to seal a leak from the outside. Unfortunately, if you want to do it properly, I think you will not only have to pull the engine, but also split the cases. This is a huge job. While the window is sold (or has been) as an individual part, it isn't available a.t.m. from cmsnl.

Take a look here:

edit: part #11