"the Hunley" my first retirement project

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
pidjones
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800A
1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine (project)

"the Hunley" my first retirement project

Post by pidjones » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:53 pm

Back in 2013, I picked up a '78 with the idea that I would restore it as my first retirement project. Some of you may have followed my build on other forums. Loading it on the trailer, I noticed the kickstart quadrant on the back of the motor and knew that a true restoration was out of the question.Turns out it is a '75 engine. When I got it in the garage and started tear-down, many other surprises were in store. A heavy rust line through the belt guard are indicating the engine had spent a long time under water. Rusty cylinder walls in #2 & 4 along with pitted valves and seats. Kreemed tank with the coating over the pickup screen, but not fully lining the tank. BOTH (at least consistent) ends of the drive shaft had internal snap rings in their grooves. The rear grease seal had been removed and the entire swingarm pumped full of grease. U joint was shot. Lots of other normal setting too long problems of course. I piddled on it until retirement last year, then began in earnest. Ended up painting the tins twice because I was not happy with the first outcome. In the end, the only work that I did not do myself is grinding valve stems ($10 and 10 minutes at a small nearby automotive machine shop) and stitching/mounting the upholstery. I'm pretty pleased with how she turned out. This past weekend I shook of the winter blues by taking her to the Knoxville Cabin Fever show where she won 1st place in Hondas (admittedly, there were only three).
Gonna drop some photos here if it works out. First ones are when she came home and some of the fun discovered, followed by a shot at the show.

quasi2008
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I INTERSTATE

Re: "the Hunley" my first retirement project

Post by quasi2008 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:21 pm

NICE! I like the green
man can't live on air alone!

pidjones

Post by pidjones » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:41 pm

After fixing a pinched o-ring in #2 carb, she is running great! Kind of hesitant to ride her much this year, as I plan to enter a show almost weekly with her this year as a fun thing to do. I'm sure that will grow old and next year I'll want to ride her much more, and it looks like she will be great for it. Maybe ride her to a few shows.

This past winter I primarily rescued a '79 CB750F to keep busy. With no intention of attempting to restore it, I left the appearance the same - a bike that had been left in the East Tennessee environment since at least 1999 (had tires on it old enough to vote). Also had suffered from very poor judgement by previous owner/mechanics that change front forks to leading axle 36mm forks (in 35 mm triples) that gave ~3" trail or less, Bondo everywhere, broken cam caps, valve clearances all over the map.I gave her a GL1000 front end. Of course, the tach and speedo needed restored, the carbs (very similar to GL1000 CVs) rebuilt and cleaned, tank cleaned and de-rusted, all but caliper bodies replaced in the brakes systems, replaced coils. Very similar to the work that I had to do on the GL1000. But, I did nothing for the appearance (actually, I did chisel .6" of Bondo off the tank and 3 pounds out from under the seat cowl, replacing that with glued-up ABS from a wrecked GL1800). A true rat-bike! Now that she is finished she is up for sale so that I can pick up what I'd like to do next - a 1979 GL1000. Why? I just don't see many. Don't know production figures, but I know that sales were off as the 1980 GL1100 was being anticipated.
Attachments

pidjones

Post by pidjones » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:21 pm

Well, the Hunley is still showing well, and I sold the CB750F yesterday for what I had invested in it (so that paid for my winter's entertainment). Getting ready to ride the GL1800 from here to Arizona via US70, then see the Grand Canyon, and then wander back.

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:07 pm

pidjones wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:21 pm
Well, the Hunley is still showing well, and I sold the CB750F yesterday for what I had invested in it (so that paid for my winter's entertainment). Getting ready to ride the GL1800 from here to Arizona via US70, then see the Grand Canyon, and then wander back.
Be careful at the GC.

Stay away from the edge of the trails.

4 deaths in the past month, falling off the edge.

spoiledsaskhunter
Motorcycle: 1978 gl1000

Post by spoiledsaskhunter » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:14 pm

dummy me, and sorry if you have explained it somewhere else, but why refer to it as 'hunley'?

SnoBrdr

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:31 pm

spoiledsaskhunter wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:14 pm
dummy me, and sorry if you have explained it somewhere else, but why refer to it as 'hunley'?
Don't ya hate when you ask a question and get ignored?

spoiledsaskhunter

Post by spoiledsaskhunter » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:54 pm

SnoBrdr wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:31 pm
spoiledsaskhunter wrote:
guess so, but wondered if a dumb question wasn't worthy of a response! do you know the answer? some people call things some weird names; maybe he doesn't want us to know.

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz » Wed May 01, 2019 1:31 am

spoiledsaskhunter wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:54 pm
SnoBrdr wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:31 pm
spoiledsaskhunter wrote:
guess so, but wondered if a dumb question wasn't worthy of a response! do you know the answer? some people call things some weird names; maybe he doesn't want us to know.
I believe he named it after the Hunley submarine which was launched in the 1860's (American Civil War period). I seem to remember his bike was recovered from a flood?

Maz
Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!

pidjones

Post by pidjones » Wed May 01, 2019 6:13 am

spoiledsaskhunter wrote:
Sorry to be so tardy in returning - life, you know. And, a trip Monday to pick up a spares '79 for my intended next project, a '79 full restore. For $125 I brought home an engine with belt covers but only one valve cover, complete carb rack, forks, and front wheel with discs. The frame also, but stripped bare, no VIN plate, and no title. Looks like maybe it was a donor or part-out that was abandoned in a farm house garage that the young family is renting.

The Hunley was indeed named in honor and memory of the ship and her valient crew(s) that pioneered the first successful military submarine. Lost in the War of Northern Aggression on her first (although successful in sinking the Husitanic) patrol, she was located in the late '90s and recovered in 2000. She now rests in Charleston, SC in a tank of slowly adjusted water and chemicals with the intent of permiting her to eventually be preserved and displayed in air. All of the crew remains were removed, identified, and burried with a massive funeral procession. They rest along with her previous two crews lost in the development of the sub. Having evidence of the bike's engine spending considerable time submerged I gave her the name. And yes, I served in the Silent Service - 2.5 years underwater in the '70s.

spoiledsaskhunter

Post by spoiledsaskhunter » Wed May 01, 2019 9:06 am

thank you for the reply and the insight.....didn't want to start a 'tempest in a teapot'. sounds like you have a huge amount of patience. i did a '78 that had been taken apart, but not put back together. it had been sitting in boxes in a garage for a couple of years, and was actually in not too bad shape when i got started. took a couple of years to finish, but i ended up with a wonderful old machine that has been my daily driver ever since i completed the project.......but i won't start another!

SnoBrdr

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr » Wed May 01, 2019 9:31 am

pidjones wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:13 am
spoiledsaskhunter wrote:
Sorry to be so tardy in returning - life, you know. And, a trip Monday to pick up a spares '79 for my intended next project, a '79 full restore. For $125 I brought home an engine with belt covers but only one valve cover, complete carb rack, forks, and front wheel with discs. The frame also, but stripped bare, no VIN plate, and no title. Looks like maybe it was a donor or part-out that was abandoned in a farm house garage that the young family is renting.

The Hunley was indeed named in honor and memory of the ship and her valient crew(s) that pioneered the first successful military submarine. Lost in the War of Northern Aggression on her first (although successful in sinking the Husitanic) patrol, she was located in the late '90s and recovered in 2000. She now rests in Charleston, SC in a tank of slowly adjusted water and chemicals with the intent of permiting her to eventually be preserved and displayed in air. All of the crew remains were removed, identified, and burried with a massive funeral procession. They rest along with her previous two crews lost in the development of the sub. Having evidence of the bike's engine spending considerable time submerged I gave her the name. And yes, I served in the Silent Service - 2.5 years underwater in the '70s.
Learned something new yet again, thanks.

pidjones

Post by pidjones » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:41 pm

Well, I did find a '79 to restore over the next several winters. Not in terrible shape and only has 2 year-old tires! Still gathering the final parts needed (those unobtainium grab bars and front HONDA logo for over the brake splitter). Presently stuffed in the basement next to my Uni-go trailer.

But, meanwhile I'm having a great time taking the Hunley to nearby shows. This weekend we went to the Stearns, Kentucky Moonshiner's Run Car Show. I like to get photos of the pinup ladies on it if there are any at the show, so...
(BTW, the blonde is headed to Afganistan in 2 weeks for 9 months.)

pidjones

Post by pidjones » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:28 pm

I finally pulled the '79 out of the family room side of the basement and into the garage. Took some photos as I swapped the bikes around. Headlight was removed to permit removal of the Vetter umbilical and will stay off until I can heal all of the wounds caused by the Scotch-Loks. After getting it in the garage, I pulled the cam belt covers and installed new timing belts. The old ones were stiff and the vendor info worn off the outside, so they were definitely due. Pulled the plugs and hooked up the battery (I had charged and stored it in a plastic battery box). Checked compression, and Yahoo! all 180 +/- 5 psi! The bottom of the engine is covered with oil and there is no obvious source, so I'll clean it well and watch. Although, the '77 that I had back in 2004 had the same oil coverage and it turned out to be from leaky fork seals. The cap over the rotor bolt was jammed and rounded so I had to chisel it off but luckily I had a spare from the junker engine. I think tomorrow I might just hook up the external fuel cell and see if it will fire.

pidjones

Post by pidjones » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:11 pm

Well, it runs (barely) while pouring fuel out of the carbs. Knew they would need to come off, so drained and pulled them. And, so it begins...