Crackling Sound - Timing belts?

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
goldwingingit
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 Naked

Crackling Sound - Timing belts?

Post by goldwingingit » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:16 pm

Hey everyone,

I recently picked up a low mileage, 1978 GL1000. It was running when I bought it, but due to the low miles all service intervals had been neglected by the two previous owners. The first thing I went to do was install new timing belts (never done that before). I've also replaced the oil and filter, fork seals, rebuilt the front brakes, replaced the hoses, adjusted the valves, adjusted the ignition timing, changed the coolant and fixed up some wiring. I still have to replace the rear brake hose. The wheel bearings actually seem pretty good. I can't think of any other things to change so just throwing that out there.

The bike is running and starting relatively easily (it's not a one touch start, I have to hold the starter for about three seconds with the choke all the way out to get it to catch).

Now, I am terrified of these timing belts failing, and I'm not sure if the problem that I'm having - or rather, hearing - is related to them. There is a faint crackling sound coming from the right side of the engine. I'm not sure if it is the valves that are loose (though it doesn't sound like that or that the timing belts could be too loose. I am even more scared of the fact that maybe the camshafts weren't perfectly aligned and the valves are hitting the piston? :shock: :shock: :shock: It might also be the tensioners, because I didn't replace those and I am absolutely certain that they are from 1978.

I remember reading several times on the DIY's on the timing belts that spring tight is fine, but then I saw a video showing that the belts should just be able to turn vertical. I have barely let the engine warm up as a result, and now I am posting here before I continue.

What y'all reckon? I'm posting from Seattle, so I have lots of time to figure this out while this snow storm continues - as long as it doesn't involve ordering parts!! :D

goldwingingit

Re: Crackling Sound - Timing belts?

Post by goldwingingit » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:28 pm

Also, here is a photo of it - just for fun :)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:02 pm

Loose belts will not cause valve/piston contact - you have to be a couple of teeth off on the belt/sprockets for that to happen. Very loose belts can cause flapping, which could be similar to "crackling."

The springs were supposed to tension the belts...but 40 year old springs may not put the same belt tension as they intended in 1975. When I used the springs to tension the belts on my GL1100, the belts were way too loose as a result.

I would recommend using the method I used to tension my GL1500 belts, which can be seen starting on step 101 here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9774

goldwingingit

Post by goldwingingit » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:04 pm

Thanks for the link and feedback. I appreciate it! Yeah I had a feeling those springs weren't what they used to be. Well, after tightening the belts in pretty sure it's gonna be good to go!

sepi53
Motorcycle: honda gl1000-75

Post by sepi53 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:18 am

That sound may come from the primary chain and it will go away if you synchronize the carbs.

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Post by ekvh » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:19 am

Another thing to check if it’s a ticking sound is the exhaust at the head. After putting the bike on a jack it will sometimes loosen the seal up in the head. It’s a ticking sound more than a hissing sound you would expect. Usually you can snug the bolts and it’s taken care of. New exhaust rings are only a few dollars each and available at most auto parts stores. They were the same size as many Asian import cars.