Replacing regulator and rectifier for a r and r combination

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
Papapa
Motorcycle: 1978 gl1000 Goldwing

Replacing regulator and rectifier for a r and r combination

Post by Papapa »

Howdy! I'm new to motorcycles. This is the first one I've owned. It's a 78 gl1000. It's been sitting since 2001 so it needs some work. Testing the electrical I found the regulator and rectifier we're both defective. I ordered a mosfet and I've got it installed and pretty much wired up. I think I might have bought the wrong one because there's no provision for the green wires which is common in the lighting system. Does anybody know where I should hook up what's left of the green wires. I took the connector off and I just wire nutted them together for now. On the one that I bought there is a connector which takes the three yellow wires from the stator and another connector red and black to the battery. What I read says that that should be enough and just go ahead and start up the motor and watch to see that it brings the voltage up correctly.

DaveO430
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Re: Replacing regulator and rectifier for a r and r combination

Post by DaveO430 »

The green wires are ground wires for the RR, they can be left loose but bolting them to ground would be a good thing.
Papapa
Motorcycle: 1978 gl1000 Goldwing

Re: Replacing regulator and rectifier for a r and r combination

Post by Papapa »

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I think I'll start with them loose and if I have any trouble I'll hook them 2 the ground. This is a pretty slick unit that I added and it is supposed to relieve all kinds of headaches with the old gl1000. This is turning out to be a real fun hobby. I'm getting a little long in the tooth to be crawling around under a car and with a motorcycle I don't have to. Thanks again!