new to me

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
zukimoo
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1000 Goldwing.

new to me

Post by zukimoo »

Hey I just got my 1980 GL1000 last week. I tried last year to buy it but couldn't find the money, a few months back the guy found another bike and cut the price in half so I jumped on it. Moved it to my house and parked it in the shed. I had driven this bike last fall so I knew it ran good for an old bike.

So the battery didn't hold a charge so I'll be taking it off, trying again to charge it but most likely buy a new one. I hooked my booster pack and hit the start button once and it made that dreadful "thump" sound. I've been offroading long enough to know what hydrolock sounds like. I stopped, pulled all the plugs and hit the button again and sure enough the two cylinders on the left side pushed out gas. I hit it for a few strokes, installed the plugs and it fired right up. It smoked a little last year and looked like it smoked the same this year. A little blue on both sides. Bike has 87000km's so it's not new, original owner had it dealer maintained since a few years back when his son got it.

My question is "what would you change?", I know the basic oil change, plugs, new battery and I'll need a new front tire. Would you change the timing belt(s)? It's going in to get the carbs done and to try to figure out why the fuel passed and got into the cylinder but I would like to get the stuff needed done right away. If the timing belt breaks does it cook the motor? is it a zero interference motor?

Last summer I had my brothers ZX10 all year because he broke his shoulder, this summer I hope to cruise on this and enjoy the roads.

Thanks for reading and I'll post pics when I get it all cleaned up.

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Re: new to me

Post by SnoBrdr »

zukimoo wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:31 pm Hey I just got my 1980 GL1000 last week. I tried last year to buy it but couldn't find the money, a few months back the guy found another bike and cut the price in half so I jumped on it. Moved it to my house and parked it in the shed. I had driven this bike last fall so I knew it ran good for an old bike.

So the battery didn't hold a charge so I'll be taking it off, trying again to charge it but most likely buy a new one. I hooked my booster pack and hit the start button once and it made that dreadful "thump" sound. I've been offroading long enough to know what hydrolock sounds like. I stopped, pulled all the plugs and hit the button again and sure enough the two cylinders on the left side pushed out gas. I hit it for a few strokes, installed the plugs and it fired right up. It smoked a little last year and looked like it smoked the same this year. A little blue on both sides. Bike has 87000km's so it's not new, original owner had it dealer maintained since a few years back when his son got it.

My question is "what would you change?", I know the basic oil change, plugs, new battery and I'll need a new front tire. Would you change the timing belt(s)? It's going in to get the carbs done and to try to figure out why the fuel passed and got into the cylinder but I would like to get the stuff needed done right away. If the timing belt breaks does it cook the motor? is it a zero interference motor?

Last summer I had my brothers ZX10 all year because he broke his shoulder, this summer I hope to cruise on this and enjoy the roads.

Thanks for reading and I'll post pics when I get it all cleaned up.
If the PO can't tell you how long the belts have been on, change them.

If you can do it yourself, they are so cheap it wouldn't make sense not to change them.

And YES on the zero tolerance motor.
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

Welcome to the forum.

Hydrolock is a big concern. But the wing fuel tank is low and has a fuel pump. Did you do a lot of "cranking" before the thump? Was tank full? Could tank have become pressurized some how? I can't remember, does the 1100 have a vacuum petcock like the 1500? Of course even if fuel flowed out of tank and thru the petcock, it leaked past the carburetor needle valves.

I also would do the timing belts. Pull the radiator hose to make that easier as you should go ahead and change the anti-freeze (silicate free only). I also would pull the forks and do the seals and bushings. If they're not leaking now, they will before summer is over (if it ever gets here). You already plan to pull the wheel and it gives more room to work the belts. Like the belts, fork parts are reasonable.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr »

Andy Cote wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:15 am Welcome to the forum.

Hydrolock is a big concern. But the wing fuel tank is low and has a fuel pump. Did you do a lot of "cranking" before the thump? Was tank full? Could tank have become pressurized some how? I can't remember, does the 1100 have a vacuum petcock like the 1500? Of course even if fuel flowed out of tank and thru the petcock, it leaked past the carburetor needle valves.

I also would do the timing belts. Pull the radiator hose to make that easier as you should go ahead and change the anti-freeze (silicate free only). I also would pull the forks and do the seals and bushings. If they're not leaking now, they will before summer is over (if it ever gets here). You already plan to pull the wheel and it gives more room to work the belts. Like the belts, fork parts are reasonable.
Why would you do the seals if they are not leaking?

That's just asking for issues down the road far as I am concerned.
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

If the bike's been sitting they are probably old and dry and the oil that tells of a leak has gone away. Once you start pounding up and down the road they MIGHT start to show leaks. Now if your tubes are really clean, you could use one of those sealmate devices to make sure there is no grit in there and have no issues. I was just thinking better now than during riding season and being halfway there (wheel off), the timing is good. But if money is an issue, wait and see how things go.

Probably not an issue for you since you know your own bike after 50 years of ownership better than one that was just purchased.

This is certainly not a must do and I would focus my energy on what caused the initial hydrolock.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
zukimoo

Post by zukimoo »

I hit the button once with a thump and then stopped pulled the plugs and cleaned the cylinders. I know it could have caused damage but it's done so I'll have to deal with it when it shows up.

So will do the carbs, belts, fluids and I need a new front tire so will do that at the same time. It's scalloped so something is loose and I got to figure that out. Forks are dry. Bike has been driven every year so wasn't parked but I got to check it all.

I got roadside for 300km's so got to keep it under that distance.

Thanks for the info and hope summer comes around at some point.
winguyjo
Motorcycle: wing1 : 1982 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing2 : 1980 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD.
wing3 : 81gl1100i frame/82gl1100a engine/81cb900 bits. resurrection complete. naked. SOLD.
wing4 : 1977 gl1000 black w/ blue pinstripes; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing5 : 1977 gl1000 black w/gold pinstripes; nearly roadworthy when purchased, NOW RIDING.
wing6 : 1975 gl1000 blue; SOLD

Post by winguyjo »

just to be clear, if it's a 1980 it's a gl1100, not a gl1000.
you don't have to buy belts that come in a honda package with a honda price tag. gates t274 (or any of their competitors) is about half the price. same goes for some other parts like thermostat, coolant hoses and more. there's a great list here somewhere that shows all of the non-honda parts that work on these bikes and save you a lot of money without sacrificing quality.
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

In the US Amazon sells the Gates belts for about half what the local Auto parts stores do, not sure about Canada but worth checking.

As to the Antifreeze, though it no longer says so on the bottle, someone on the forum wrote to ask, and the response from good ol' Prestone is they are still silicate-free on their full-strength product.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark
zukimoo

Post by zukimoo »

thanks for the info, took it around the block and there is no way the forks are ok so I'll tear into that to see. Calling my belt guy in the am to see if he can get them. Need a new front tire and a fluid change.