Estate Sale '76 GL Sitting Since 1985

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
apex
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000

Estate Sale '76 GL Sitting Since 1985

Post by apex » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:54 pm

If you would like a good read...here is something to consider.
In 2017 a friend turned me on to an Estate Sale. Owner passed away, everything left to his Sister. The gentleman who passed away was a hoarder, the typical in all cases, but in this case, the guy's interest were RC vehicles, RC planes, audio electronics, cars/trucks, and...motorcycles! The gentleman's sister was totally overwhelmed, so my friend asked me to come take a look and see what I thought about the motorcycle collection.
When I arrived, things were as to what I expected. Driveway, side yard & backyard jammed with trucks and cars that had been sitting un-moved for years. Overgrown yard. We wrenched the garage open to find 3 bikes right in sight, surrounded by what you would expect: Boxes, papers, parts, tires, electronics...think about what you would think was there based on my description, and it was. And cats...lots of cats.
The 3 bikes visible, right at the foot of the garage: '84 Goldwing, '95 Goldwing, '96 CBR600RR. All, in reasonably good condition, and no license tag newer than 2014.
There were more bikes in the garage, but I couldn't see them. There were bikes in the house!! 5! There were bikes in the backyard!
19 in total. We struck a deal, and I agreed to remove all bikes & parts, and accessories, and gear.
What WAS buried in the garage, was the subject of this post. A '76 Gl1000. 1985 tags on the plate.

That's it at my house. Wish I had taken a photo of it where we found it, but I didn't. It was hard work unburying this man's life and obsessions. One of the bikes I DID take a photo of, removing from a collapsed shed in the backyard, was a full dress '78 Goldwing. What a chore it was to get this bike out front, but my son and I did. More on this bike later. By the way, it was loaded into the back of a 2017 Honda Ridgeline. Let NO ONE tell you Honda's truck is not the real deal. I brought 3-4 bikes + trailer full back to my house 4 times with that Ridgeline. SOLID!

OK, more to come.

apex

Re: Estate Sale '76 GL Sitting Since 1985

Post by apex » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:12 am

Assessment: Front brake master cylinder seized, rear pedal seized. Calipers seized. Had to whack them with a rubber mallet just to get the bike to roll. Throttle seized. Gas tank rusted. Aftermarket starter button in the original housing. Seat gone. Rear light lens smashed. NO TITLE. Tires old. Fuel hoses rotted. No headlight.
Side note...I left all the Vetter & Bates stuff where it was in the backyard, where the parts had been sitting for who knows how long in the elements, weeds, cats, mice, rats...everything. There was so much trash to be hauled, I decided this stuff was trash too.
BUT!! The GL had mostly been stored inside. Chrome looked cleanable. All yellow panels were there. Radiator was full of green coolant, no rust. Engine was free. GOOD!
My deal is 2 stroke enduros, but I will work on any motorcycle. The '78 GL1000 from the previous post was my baptism to GL1000's, as that bike was a real treat. That bike WAS resurrected, ridden, and it actually ran damn good. Learned the carburetor in & outs, electrical issues, etc., but in the end that bike was a rider, and sold! Not for much, but my goal with all of these bikes, at least for the ones that were mostly complete, was to make them run before selling them.

Nope, the 8 track player didn't work. But this bike was a sweetheart when done. It had sat idle since 1995, according to the plate sticker. I was also amazed at the resiliency of the hydraulic brake parts, which were all made to work with simple complete disassembly, thorough cleaning/soda blasting, and bleeding. All of it, brake masters & calipers. This bike still needed considerable work to be road & distance worthy, but then again that wasn't my goal, that was for the next owner to take on. My goal was resurrect it.

Break time

apex

Post by apex » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:26 am

Fast forward to the '76 GL1000. AS of 2 months ago to this date, this is the last of the 19 bikes.
Everything else sold. Including parts, helmets, tires...etc. All that is left is spares for this bike, and a couple of road leathers.
Off and on, for the past 2 years, I've worked on this one.
Included with all the parts were 2 sets of GL1000 rebuild kits. Genuine Honda. I used one on the '78, one set on this '76.

These carbs were completely disassembled, sprayed & scrubbed clean, new gasket's & rubbers, bodies soda blasted, and linkage cleaned/lubed. Middle box parting seal replaced, and all o rings. Carbs were "eyeball" set for initial plate setting, and verified proper, synchronized opening of all plates. Nothing left untouched. New hoses, and new genuine Honda fuel filter & petcock.

Tried to clean the gas tank, but the floor was shown to have pinholes. New to me tank was found on eBay that was then electrolysis treated to remove what little was inside, vinegar treatment thereafter, and installed. What a JOY removing that tank is!! WOW!! But while it was out, went through the rear caliper like the '78, and same result...beautiful. Here we are with tank re-installed.

apex

Post by apex » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:47 am

Shame on myself for not documenting better all the work done on this bike. Usually I'm much better. But here I am 2 years later, installed a new battery and found the button prior dude installed for the stater was garbage. I took it out, and put my own button in the tank tray. Yeah I know, I have to pop the lid to hit the button, but I'll fix this later, not a big deal. By the way, love the cool old cruise control.

Installed a battery, new plugs, filled it with fuel, and gave it the go. To find, no fuel delivery. :roll:

No suction from the fuel pump. Took it off and removed the lid, to find..it was just stuck in the plunger area under the diaphragm! Diaphragm was beautiful, no issues, so again, just another bit of clean up and voila! Fuel traveling when cranking. And it started right up. I love Hondas! Copy the link into your browser, or click it if it works. It runs!!

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:57 am

My, she sounds really solid! Good job on the carbs!

I can relate to What a JOY getting the fuel tank out is, had to do that when resurrecting my 1100 years ago. Not much of the bike left behind the engine when the tank is out.

If you haven't already I'd strongly suggest replacing those 43 year old timing belts before you run her much more, though.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:09 am

Not to throw cold water but you did say NO TITLE?

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:06 am

SnoBrdr wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:09 am
Being from the UK, could someone please
explain what the 'Title' is and how not having one is a problem ?
Maz
Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:15 am

Maz wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:06 am
SnoBrdr wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:09 am
Being from the UK, could someone please
explain what the 'Title' is and how not having one is a problem ?
Maz
The title is the piece of paper documenting who actually owns the bike. Without one, you cannot register it, get license plates, etc. The idea being that stolen vehicles obviously don't come with titles, so if you don't have the title...you don't own the vehicle.

There is a process for which you can go through to replace a missing title, but it is different in every state, and it is usually lengthy and involved.

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:34 pm

Thanks for the explanation, Wingadmin. Kind of like our V5 (registration document), which gets sent back to our DVLA by the seller, then a new one issued to the buyer.
Apologies, Apex, for the brief hijack of your thread.
Maz
Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!

SnoBrdr

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:11 pm

Maz wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:34 pm
Thanks for the explanation, Wingadmin. Kind of like our V5 (registration document), which gets sent back to our DVLA by the seller, then a new one issued to the buyer.
Apologies, Apex, for the brief hijack of your thread.
Maz
There are some fairly easy ways to get around the title business.

One of the states that I have a home in will issue you one thru the mail.

They will never see the bike, will allow you to register it and then you can get a title in the state where you live.

They (the DMV) claimed they were going to close this loophole but never did.

All they want is cash.

apex

Post by apex » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:49 pm

Yes, no title. No worries a little title discussion in thread. Being the bike came from an Estate, I have the trail, and in California obtaining a new title isn't too bad, I've done this a number of times. That's something I'm going to tackle in the next month or so.

Timing belts have been replaced, thanks for the tip in this forum for the Gates belt! Timing belt change could NOT have been easier after reviewing the variety of threads in this forum!

More story to come. Stay tuned.

SnoBrdr

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:44 pm

apex wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:49 pm
Yes, no title. No worries a little title discussion in thread. Being the bike came from an Estate, I have the trail, and in California obtaining a new title isn't too bad, I've done this a number of times. That's something I'm going to tackle in the next month or so.

Timing belts have been replaced, thanks for the tip in this forum for the Gates belt! Timing belt change could NOT have been easier after reviewing the variety of threads in this forum!

Register the bike, thru the mail, in Vermont.

They will send you plates and the reg, then you can just register it in California.

Read this thread: https://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=67777

apex

Post by apex » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:28 pm

SnoBrdr wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:44 pm
apex wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:49 pm

Register the bike, thru the mail, in Vermont.

They will send you plates and the reg, then you can just register it in California.

Read this thread: https://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=67777
I've used that process twice now, it works flawless!

apex

Post by apex » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:18 pm

Made it into the NEWSLETTER!?! VERY humbling indeed.

On with more of the story. Bike runs, as the video showed. The video is recent, but when I ran it the first time time I had one immediate issue: the front 2 cylinders were cold (as shot with an infrared temp gun); they did pick up when revved, but at idle, they were cold, and the intake trumpets to the heads were also REALLY cold. Found solid spark, and since the cylinders picked up with revs, decided to check valve lash on cylinder 1.

Popped the valve cover, and found I did NOT have tight valve clearance on cylinder 1.

Compression test next, and found cylinder 1 at 80 PSI, the others 130. Poured a little Marvel Mystery Oil in the 1 hole, compression test again, and now up to 140! Damn...was this why the bike was parked? Well, engine at this point was good and hot. A buddy and I talked about it a little bit...and we decided to pour Marvel in all the cylinders while it was still warm, and let it sit.

2 days later I put some brand new NGK's in the plug holes, and lit it off. Would you believe it!!! Smooth idle, misfire COMPLETELY gone! Was completely blown away, totally surprised. Yes, it smoked ALOT, but I ran it a solid 30 minutes, and the cylinders cleaned out and the bike just sat there and purred with that lopey "Superbike" idle. Yes, I went onto Randakk's site and started reading about the early GL1000's, the valve timing, cam profiles...very cool info about this engine! More to come...

apex

Post by apex » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:33 pm

Now that the bike was running good, began to check out other items. Does the alternator charge?

Yes, and the charging output was linear with throttle application...I saw 20 volts at the battery revving it up a couple times!!

Dug into the forum, and found the thread about the wire from the ignition switch that should be the "reality wire" to the voltage regulator, so it knows how to balance the alternator replenishment to the 12V battery. This thread:

viewtopic.php?t=20186

I found less than 12V on this black wire, engine at idle, and a little over 12V engine off idle. So, jumpered a wire straight from B+ on the battery to the voltage regulator connector black wire, and found 14.4-14.7 engine revved! Connector is in good shape, no blue corrosion, and no melting, so decided to wire in a relay as the post outlined.

I started my career in 1985 as a Technician at a Nissan dealer. In those days, some models were sold with no A/C. And, you could buy an A/C "kit," and install it! That was BIG accessory business for us then at the dealer, as the job paid 5.0 hours, and I could routinely install a kit in 30 minutes or less. The term, is GRAVY. Sorry to leak out Technician flat rate reality...things are much different today.

Anyway the kits came with everything necessary, including...RELAY'S! The upper trim levels of cars sometimes already had the relay that came in the kit, and those extra "kit" relays ended up in our toolboxes.

Here is my "voltage regulator fix" 1988 Nissan Sentra A/C relay, installed on the '76 Goldwing. Works PERFECT. Fits nicely strapped to the wire harness on top of the gas tank.

apex

Post by apex » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:33 pm

Electrical needed some help. The dog bone fusible link was in sad shape. Bone intact but no cover, rusted bolts, so it was replaced with a more modern style.

Had a dim headlight, and found a voltage drop in the headlight switch, so disassembled that, cleaned it all up and solved that one.

And since it was now running good, riding short trips around the neighborhood, it became time to lean on the bike and find the shine. It was there, really came out nice!

apex

Post by apex » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:57 pm

No seat, right? All original seats rarely come up on eBay, most everything is a parted out GL's "captains chair" style seat, no way that would go on the bike. And, they weren't cheap either. Research showed buying a good used captain's seat, new foam, and a new repop cover, plus the labor to install would price out HIGHER than if I bought the full original reproduction seat assembly from seller daytrader-07 on eBay. Not cheap, shipping from Vietnam, but the seat looked good & the seller has great feedback. I did see someone had a NEW NOS seat for a GL1000, but price was $999. Yikes...so I pulled the trigger on the repop seat assembly, and waited 3 weeks for its arrival.

Meanwhile, I had to figure out the rear brake master.

These new are rarely seen, rare as hen's teeth. Rebuild kits everywhere, and parted out master cylinders that were ALSO seized. And, PRICEY...decent looking ones were over $100! I searched the forum to see if there's alternative RR masters, and found most discussion revolving around the GL1100...not too much on these.
So, having nothing to lose, decided to attempt to take apart the original master. First, put it in my vise, pulled the boot up, and filled the cavity with PB Blaster. Did this 2x's a day, for 3 days.

Removed the reservoir...nasty nasty stuff, the rubber boot under the cap melted.

Drilled a hole in the concave base of the piston, used a slidehammer with a screw on the end as an anchor, screwed into the hole I drilled, 4 taps and out the piston came. Look at the nastiness.

Completely disassembled, cleaned out all the goo/varnish/garbage, polished the inner bore, soda blasted all the hard parts, cleaned & soaked the cups in brake fluid. The transfer port on the master body was completely plugged. COMPLETELY. I sat in the backyard with my wife, the master, brake cleaner, and the wire from a wire tie, and worked that passage. Took 40 minutes and a couple of beers, but I won!!

Installed, and vacuum bled in minutes. For just my time, patience...rear brake now works perfect!!

apex

Post by apex » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:36 am

While waiting for the seat:
- Replaced the timing belts.
- Valves adjusted. Only two required minor adjusting. Amazing...

Bike's running better and better. Seat arrived, undamaged from it's travels, completely bolt on ready. Installed and bolted on in 2 minutes. I've been riding it around the neighborhood some more, nothing long distance of course. Just sorting items out...it's just running better and better! Total of about 30 miles so far. Most everything works...even the 43 year old Dyna III ignition works flawlessly.
Next steps: tires, another oil change, clean & regrease the steering head bearings, change the diff oil, replace the fuel sending unit.
BUT FIRST...off to DMV this week to start the title process!

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:40 pm

Wow! That looks beautiful!
And it's the rare yellow to boot!
I believe only 500 were made in that color.

George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"