another $250 gl1000 find


Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Post Reply
70sbudget
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:34 am
Location: United States
Motorcycle: possible 1978 gl1000

another $250 gl1000 find

Post by 70sbudget » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:01 am



ive been looking at goldwings for the past year. In that time resurrected an old 82 cb900, an 82 Cj7 and have previously built to daily driver status a 1970 bronco and a 1970 camaro. I am comfortable doing my own work. :)

With that said, I have looked at, but never owned a goldwing. I have come across a 1978, 66k miles which had "the solenoid go out" years ago and hasnt been run since. Obviously there is probably fuel in the tank and carbs and HOPEFULLY it was before ethanol hit the streets here in CA. The bike has been garaged and looks to be in very good condition from the pictures. yes, i know, the pictures can lie.

so, besides the fuel tank, lines and carb issues, if it "is just the solenoid" what else should i look for besides a frozen motor? id expect possible frozen calipers and any other moving part to need attention.

alright classic GL1000 crowd. lets hear it.



User avatar
Aussie81Interstate
Posts: 1178
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:34 am
Location: Penrith Australia
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (Historic registration - finally)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Re: another $250 gl1000 find

Post by Aussie81Interstate » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:11 am

Lets see some pictures :)

User avatar
SnoBrdr
Posts: 756
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Re: another $250 gl1000 find

Post by SnoBrdr » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:35 am

70sbudget wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:01 am
ive been looking at goldwings for the past year. In that time resurrected an old 82 cb900, an 82 Cj7 and have previously built to daily driver status a 1970 bronco and a 1970 camaro. I am comfortable doing my own work. :)

With that said, I have looked at, but never owned a goldwing. I have come across a 1978, 66k miles which had "the solenoid go out" years ago and hasnt been run since. Obviously there is probably fuel in the tank and carbs and HOPEFULLY it was before ethanol hit the streets here in CA. The bike has been garaged and looks to be in very good condition from the pictures. yes, i know, the pictures can lie.

so, besides the fuel tank, lines and carb issues, if it "is just the solenoid" what else should i look for besides a frozen motor? id expect possible frozen calipers and any other moving part to need attention.

alright classic GL1000 crowd. lets hear it.
Read this. http://www.randakksblog.com/starting-a- ... ng-lay-up/

Use it as your bible.

70sbudget
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:34 am
Location: United States
Motorcycle: possible 1978 gl1000

Re: another $250 gl1000 find

Post by 70sbudget » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:17 am





he assured me it came with the stripper heals in the picture.

User avatar
SnoBrdr
Posts: 756
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Re: another $250 gl1000 find

Post by SnoBrdr » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:00 pm

70sbudget wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:17 am
6dbdffec832f4dda8a97d65b4676cb97.jpg

he assured me it came with the stripper heals in the picture.
Looks like it had a faring on it based on the items that are missing and the headlight.

70sbudget
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:34 am
Location: United States
Motorcycle: possible 1978 gl1000

Re: another $250 gl1000 find

Post by 70sbudget » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:38 pm

What else is missing?

Rambozo
Posts: 194
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:36 pm
Location: Disneyland
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: another $250 gl1000 find

Post by Rambozo » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:59 pm

Most things made of rubber will need replacement.
Timing belts, tires, etc.

70sbudget
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:34 am
Location: United States
Motorcycle: possible 1978 gl1000

Re: another $250 gl1000 find

Post by 70sbudget » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:49 pm

Boo. No stripper shoes or bike. Sold it out from under me. I’ll find another!

70sbudget
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:34 am
Location: United States
Motorcycle: possible 1978 gl1000

Re: another $250 gl1000 find

Post by 70sbudget » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:16 pm

well, good news, looks like he pulled the ad because he was tired of the spam so we are back on. ill post pics a bit later but as of now, it has a front fairing and bags! looking forward to hearing the rumble down the line

70sbudget
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:34 am
Location: United States
Motorcycle: possible 1978 gl1000

Re: another $250 gl1000 find

Post by 70sbudget » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:37 pm
















User avatar
Aussie81Interstate
Posts: 1178
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:34 am
Location: Penrith Australia
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (Historic registration - finally)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Re: another $250 gl1000 find

Post by Aussie81Interstate » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:16 pm

I think you have the good bones to put that all back together.

Do all the required maintenance before you go riding. Those wires around the battery and solenoid will need some TLC.

Definitely go through and first thing would be to replace the timing belts before you do any other work on the motor. At least you will be comfortable in the knowledge that a belt will not snap and then cost unknown amounts to fix it - dependant on the damage they may cause... could ruin your whole project.

Nice pickup for $250 - wish I could land my hands on something like that... :D

Good luck and please keep posting your progress thanks

Rambozo
Posts: 194
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:36 pm
Location: Disneyland
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: another $250 gl1000 find

Post by Rambozo » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:35 pm

What about the shoes?

ScuubZ
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:34 am
Location: Rockford IL
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Re: another $250 gl1000 find

Post by ScuubZ » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:17 pm

I just picked up a 1977 GL1000 myself that was cafe'd to all hell. Poor girl has so many wires cut and missing parts. Thankfully the previous owner kept all the stock parts, so I have already put the stock bars back on, but with the entire harness in pieces, I will be using threads like these and the available documentation available here to try to piece it all back together. (Thank you for all the documents GWD Team!!) I'm not a fan of the Windjammer looks, so my plan is to keep it pretty naked, but functional. Can't wait to see how some of these resto projects get along, as well as my own.

User avatar
SnoBrdr
Posts: 756
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Re: another $250 gl1000 find

Post by SnoBrdr » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:22 pm

ScuubZ wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:17 pm
I just picked up a 1977 GL1000 myself that was cafe'd to all hell. Poor girl has so many wires cut and missing parts. Thankfully the previous owner kept all the stock parts, so I have already put the stock bars back on, but with the entire harness in pieces, I will be using threads like these and the available documentation available here to try to piece it all back together. (Thank you for all the documents GWD Team!!) I'm not a fan of the Windjammer looks, so my plan is to keep it pretty naked, but functional. Can't wait to see how some of these resto projects get along, as well as my own.
Download a copy of the wiring diagram and bring it to a copy shop and have it enlarged.

ScuubZ
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:34 am
Location: Rockford IL
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Re: another $250 gl1000 find

Post by ScuubZ » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:27 pm

SnoBrdr wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:22 pm
ScuubZ wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:17 pm
I just picked up a 1977 GL1000 myself that was cafe'd to all hell. Poor girl has so many wires cut and missing parts. Thankfully the previous owner kept all the stock parts, so I have already put the stock bars back on, but with the entire harness in pieces, I will be using threads like these and the available documentation available here to try to piece it all back together. (Thank you for all the documents GWD Team!!) I'm not a fan of the Windjammer looks, so my plan is to keep it pretty naked, but functional. Can't wait to see how some of these resto projects get along, as well as my own.
Download a copy of the wiring diagram and bring it to a copy shop and have it enlarged.
I've been reading that in a few places around here. I tried printing it out at home and a lot got cut off, so taking it somewhere definitely makes sense. I read somewhere here that a 30" print works pretty well. Thanks for that!

User avatar
SnoBrdr
Posts: 756
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Re: another $250 gl1000 find

Post by SnoBrdr » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:35 am

ScuubZ wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:27 pm
SnoBrdr wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:22 pm
ScuubZ wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:17 pm
I just picked up a 1977 GL1000 myself that was cafe'd to all hell. Poor girl has so many wires cut and missing parts. Thankfully the previous owner kept all the stock parts, so I have already put the stock bars back on, but with the entire harness in pieces, I will be using threads like these and the available documentation available here to try to piece it all back together. (Thank you for all the documents GWD Team!!) I'm not a fan of the Windjammer looks, so my plan is to keep it pretty naked, but functional. Can't wait to see how some of these resto projects get along, as well as my own.
Download a copy of the wiring diagram and bring it to a copy shop and have it enlarged.
I've been reading that in a few places around here. I tried printing it out at home and a lot got cut off, so taking it somewhere definitely makes sense. I read somewhere here that a 30" print works pretty well. Thanks for that!
I"ve had it laminated, should have mentioned that before.

ScuubZ
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:34 am
Location: Rockford IL
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Re: another $250 gl1000 find

Post by ScuubZ » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:42 am

SnoBrdr wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:35 am
ScuubZ wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:27 pm
SnoBrdr wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:22 pm


Download a copy of the wiring diagram and bring it to a copy shop and have it enlarged.
I've been reading that in a few places around here. I tried printing it out at home and a lot got cut off, so taking it somewhere definitely makes sense. I read somewhere here that a 30" print works pretty well. Thanks for that!
I"ve had it laminated, should have mentioned that before.
That's brilliant! Just hang it on the wall! Haha!



Post Reply