'78 GL1000 idling problem

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
Switchum

'78 GL1000 idling problem

Post by Switchum »

Hello Folks, I am a long time lurker a first time poster.

Long story short, I purchased '78 GL1000 through local Craig's list about an year ago. She looked clean with 36K on her clock but did not want to start (though the owner claimed that she was running a few days ago), tank was rusted inside, both tires were bold, leaking fuel from carb bowls and such.

I am certainly not a motorcycle mechanic but I had worked on my '71 CB750 quite bit in the past so I am used to performing basic maintenance and like to believe I am somewhat mechanically inclined. After moving the bike to my garage, I put some fuel treatment likes of BerrymanB-12. Much to our surprise, she started but not too well. She was hesitant at low speed and back firing. I spent 4 hours to remove the tank ( no one told me how hard and time consuming it could be) and treated with apple cider vinegar to get rid of rust, then sealed it with Kreem. Then moved on to rebuild the carbs. Again removing them were not as easy as CB750...They were rebuilt many times seems like. Some of carb bowl screws were not catching anymore, which forced me to ream the screw holes to M5. I cleaned them thoroughly and used new parts when it was necessary. I read in a forum that backfire can be a result of a failing air cut off valve, so I got a kit and rebuild it as well. While I was doing those, I also removed decorative LED lighting( one of those that shine motor) and speakers, changing fluids, valve adjustments, mounting new tires and such.

After all the work, she ran okay, not super..... She still had slight hesitation at low rpm, but she ran okay Started right up and we could take a longer trips. One day she was running pretty good and we were on a highway. when we got off the highway, I noticed that she would kept revving high. We killed the motor and stopped at roadside try to find out the problem was but could not do it there. Had to as my friend to pick up us.
It was a simple mistake of mine, forgetting to put hairpin clip on the connecting arm that connects right side carbs to left side while working on her carbs.... So the connecting rods came of while we were riding, resulting forcing left side to go full throttle. I fixed that part right away but she never ran better like before. She developed idling problem. She will stall at signals if I don't keep opening up the throttle. Hesitant at low rpm as usual but worse. She gets her power back when I open up hard. I went through the carbs again, then again but the same problem. One day while I was test riding, she quit all of sudden. She had enough juice and fuel but wasn't getting sparks seemed like. She also blew a few fuses. After getting picked up by my buddy for the 3rd time, I went through all the electric connectors; cleaned them or replaced them all and put dielectric grease on all of them. New fuses of course. While I was there, I installed LED head lights, got rid of wiring for speakers and those decorative lights. Sadly the problem still exists. Moreover, she often refuses to run now; she acts like running out of gas and stops. Starts back up if let her sit for a few minutes. She has become the most unreliable bike I have ever owned now and I ran out of things to try and losing motivation to work on her.

After researching here and there, I am leaning toward getting new ignition coils. She already had Dyna electric ignition but I am sure the coils are original. I just wanted to ask you guys if I am forgetting something. And hope many of you guys agree with me that I should get new coils.

Thanks for reading my babbling and I truly appreciate any help on this....

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Re: '78 GL1000 idling problem

Post by AZgl1800 »

I noted that you "got a kit" to rebuild the carbs.

It is pretty well known by those who have "been there" and worked on these a long time, that aftermarket parts for Honda carbs just don't work well.

even Kendakk recommends buying only OEM Honda parts...
expensive sometimes, but not always.

if you bought aftermarket new jets, it is dead certain the flow rates, and float levels will not be right.

I have not worked on them myself in 40+ years, just bookmark a lot, and read a lot.

did you clean the idle jet ports? use the smallest string on a guitar to see if they are plugged.

boiling the carbs in vinegar, or Simple Green, and especially if you have access to a Ultrasonic Cleaner, you can get the carbs looking like brand new.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc
Switchum

Re: '78 GL1000 idling problem

Post by Switchum »

Thanks for the reply AZgl1800.

Yeah I know the aftermarket kits are not as great as OEM. But I have never really had any issues with other bikes, using aftermarket kits so I did not think kits were not up to standard in GL1000 case. I did consider purchasing Randakk's rebuild kits but seems like out of stock most of the time.... Other than aftermarket kit, my carbs are squeaky clean but come to think of it, I did not make sure idle discharge port jets are clear so I will make a look. Thanks for pointing it out. That will be my 6th time taking the carbs out in a year....