78 foot gear selector hits exhaust, cannot downshift

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
jdmdtt
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000

78 foot gear selector hits exhaust, cannot downshift

Post by jdmdtt »

Got an oem exhaust header from a same-year parts bike.

Foot gear shift lever only locks in one place due to the design of the screw running up through and against the spline cut-out so I cannot push it back farther on the spline to gain clearance nor can I put it up a tooth to gain height because it hits a manifold stud on install. So we can agree it only goes in one place, the highest angle possible, which actually looks just like the pictures in the manual (parallel with starter). I haven't found any specific paragraph talking about this installation procedure in hayners, clymer or honda but you can see a picture on the engine removal section of it installed.

Now after installing the exhaust flange, the lever hits the exhaust before being able to shift down. Works fine with no exhaust installed.

Nothing is bent, everything only fits in one place, not sure what i'm doing wrong. I'm gonna go dig up the original exhaust headers and make sure that works like it used to, but I can't understand what I am missing here.

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Re: 78 foot gear selector hits exhaust, cannot downshift

Post by SnoBrdr »

jdmdtt wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:02 pm Got an oem exhaust header from a same-year parts bike.

Foot gear shift lever only locks in one place due to the design of the screw running up through and against the spline cut-out so I cannot push it back farther on the spline to gain clearance nor can I put it up a tooth to gain height because it hits a manifold stud on install. So we can agree it only goes in one place, the highest angle possible, which actually looks just like the pictures in the manual (parallel with starter). I haven't found any specific paragraph talking about this installation procedure in hayners, clymer or honda but you can see a picture on the engine removal section of it installed.

Now after installing the exhaust flange, the lever hits the exhaust before being able to shift down. Works fine with no exhaust installed.

Nothing is bent, everything only fits in one place, not sure what i'm doing wrong. I'm gonna go dig up the original exhaust headers and make sure that works like it used to, but I can't understand what I am missing here.
You can remove the manifold stud and use a bolt.

Are there more than one exhaust donut attached to the flange/manifold?

If you are using all stock, correct year pieces, this cannot happen unless you are doing something wrong.
Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 »

I'm sure you'll get it sorted, and I'm afraid I can't help (never having owned a GL1000).

I did feel the need to comment on the title of your thread, though - especially when it occurred to me that a 78-foot-long gear selector would definitely foul on something - even the bumper of the bus ahead of you! :D

Sorry - I had to!! :lol:
phoenixtubs
Motorcycle: 1985 Interstate
1987 VT700C Shadow
1978 GL 1000

Post by phoenixtubs »

There is a dot on the shift lever and a dot on the shaft. Do they line up?