Carb issue, ice cold manifold

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
YourJere
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Carb issue, ice cold manifold

Post by YourJere » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:13 am

I ran my bike and noticed the rear right carb (#3) was ice cold, so I took the carbs off, mostly because the plug was wet for #3, so I thought the float was seizing up, but it turned out that my slide/air piston thing was what seized, so I cleaned out the green gunk crap around it and its good now jumps up and down very smooth.

But, I was wondering, could the slide seizing up be what caused the issue/flooding?
time to be adjusting floats now just in case anyways.
On the bright side all the jets are clear.

YourJere

Re: Carb issue, ice cold manifold

Post by YourJere » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:46 am

wow. SO I found a big oopsy in my carbs, but first I'll give their slight backstory

I first rebuilt these after my brother offered to help take them apart (big mistake)
he was tapping my damn float post with a hammer and a nail like nothing bad would happen (to get the pin out)
well it snapped, I told him it would lol. My poor carb, anyways to repay me, he jb welded it in
well, I opened it up again today. And I was on randakks website cus I was gonna adjust my floats,
randakks floats were upside down, wait. That was my initial thought, we all know randakks is a master of the wing arts. My floats were upside down lol.
I took them all off. Gently hammering a nail with a needle nose, and some wd40 and I finally got them all correct,
and I know this is bad but since I had no good measuring tool, I marked down on a square piece of cardboard where roughly 2 cm was (20mm)
and adjusted the floats by eye and checking how they were functioning til it looked good.
(Since it was broken and jb welded it broke again at the jb weld removing the pin, anyways I am not reattaching it, I put the pin back in and float correctly and somehow it barely barely, moves, but only from side to side motions which the motorcycle wont really be doing. And not at all up and down, so the floats will function perfectly. Since I do not have money, I am sticking to that, until I can afford a 76 carb parts set. Or body. )

So my floats being upside before.. I looked at them and they couldn't wouldn't close to float valve lol, wow
how did my motorcycle run, How did I drive it?
I guess it explains the tach displaying 4k RPM during idle.
I am glad I opened them up because this could be the solution to my problems.

Whenever you open something up, and you see whats wrong, sometimes it makes you happy since you don't have to keep troubleshooting to find it.
I stay up all night working on this, so one day relying on my own transportation, I can get a job, and spend it on more 40 year old motorcycles.
I am also glad this wasn't my mess-up, because when you can't get something right, it makes you feel like you aren't capable of fixing stuff.

Also my perfect 100% original 1977 Gl1000 isn't so original after I went ahead and looked at the carb number, 76 lol thats fine.
I think I saw randakk saying these ran better anyways but, is that true whenever you've bought a 77 rebuild kit lol

I enjoy using this website it's pretty nice to have so many like minded individuals in one place

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:15 am

Hammers and carburetors are never a good mix.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:54 am

Not sure I understand what any of this means. Can you clarify this?

(Since it was broken and jb welded it broke again at the jb weld removing the pin, anyways I am not reattaching it, I put the pin back in and float correctly and somehow it barely barely, moves, but only from side to side motions which the motorcycle wont really be doing. And not at all up and down, so the floats will function perfectly[/b.

YourJere

Post by YourJere » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:13 am

One of the float post is broken, left short one, (snapped months ago) the temporary fix, broke when I had to take off the float bowls, it sounds terrible, but I installed the pin and float with the broken post, because the post doesn't move at all, I pushed it around a lot to test how strong it is, and I know it will work until I have money to buy a proper fix.

It is broken at a slant, right at the base where it gets thicker, I enjoy taking these apart and fixing them but being 17 I don't have the funds yet, this motorcycle was all I could find for $400 (borrowed $200 from 2 people) so once I am able to use this for transportation I can get a job and stop half assing my stuff

flyday58
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1976 GL1000 LTD
1981 CB750C
1997 BMW R1100RT
1974 Yamaha GT80

Post by flyday58 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:06 pm

Randakks sells two different float post repair kits, $36 and $38. I used the $38 setup on a CB750 carb with good results.
"Who left the fridge open?" Tug Speedman

Dan Macmillan
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda GL1000

Post by Dan Macmillan » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:18 pm

I had a float post corroded to the pin. I took a piece of 1/4" steel brake line and tapped it down over the remaining post, re-drilled the hole for the pin and slightly narrowed the brass float pivot. Works perfectly. Total cost $zero.
as I already had some brake line. Would have cost $3 if I had to buy a piece.