GL1000 fluctuating Idle with Single Carb conversion.

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
PhotoDoctor
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Standard and several GL650s , few GL500s

GL1000 fluctuating Idle with Single Carb conversion.

Post by PhotoDoctor »

A good friend of mine who is not a member on this forum has a side car rig that he recently converted to a single carb due to issues with idle using the original 4 carbs.

Currently with the single carb which is a Chinese knock-off of a VW carb – his bike has a fluctuating idle which cycles up and down on the rpms in an ongoing fashion. The idle never stays at the same rpm but varies constantly. To make matters worse on the road it will almost always die when decelerating to a traffic light.

I’ve not dove into it myself yet and personally prefer the stock setup as I like the looks of the 4 carbs and am good with rebuilding them.
I am also wondering if the issue could be something unrelated to the carb unit such as very loose tension on the timing belts. Also his iginition has been changed from breaker points to electronic.

Has anyone had this issue on a GL1000 and have anything to share?

If I start in on solving the issue - (unless someone has a good tip here) - I’ll start at the very beginning with a compression test, valve adjustment, belt check, timing check and so on before even looking at the carb and I’ve got enough of my own projects without this but will jump in and help my friend if needed.

Thanks for any info : )

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: GL1000 fluctuating Idle with Single Carb conversion.

Post by Rambozo »

I would look for vacuum leaks. Also an overall look at the quality of the conversion. Give it the duck test. If it looks like crap, it probably is.
PhotoDoctor
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Standard and several GL650s , few GL500s

Re: GL1000 fluctuating Idle with Single Carb conversion.

Post by PhotoDoctor »

The conversion looks well done. Propane was used to check for leaks and none found.