Fork Fix or Conversion?

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
StarDiero75
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Fork Fix or Conversion?

Post by StarDiero75 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:34 pm

Howdy guys,

So I bought a barnfind 77 Goldwing. I was able to get the motor running but the carbs have vacuum leaks galore, so I'll be rebuilding them soon, and replacing the clutch b/c no matter what I do it won't completely disengage.

Anyhow, we're talking about the forks. The forks currently have an air line connecting the 2 but they slowly leak over a few days. So, my question is, how do I fix this, or should i convert them back to oil and can that be done using the same forks? I'm on an almost nothing budget, so whatever is cheapest, that will work.

Thanks

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

131K Original Owner

Re: Fork Fix or Conversion?

Post by SnoBrdr » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:46 am

StarDiero75 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:34 pm
Howdy guys,

So I bought a barnfind 77 Goldwing. I was able to get the motor running but the carbs have vacuum leaks galore, so I'll be rebuilding them soon, and replacing the clutch b/c no matter what I do it won't completely disengage.

Anyhow, we're talking about the forks. The forks currently have an air line connecting the 2 but they slowly leak over a few days. So, my question is, how do I fix this, or should i convert them back to oil and can that be done using the same forks? I'm on an almost nothing budget, so whatever is cheapest, that will work.

Thanks
You probably only need to find the correct fork caps for the bike.

I had put air caps on my 78 but after almost 40 years the lines just got brittle and wouldn't hold air.

Putting the original caps back on fixed that right up.

I don't see any for sale atm on EBay.

You might have to buy a complete set of forks, hopefully not.

StarDiero75

Post by StarDiero75 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:29 pm

SnoBrdr wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:46 am
StarDiero75 wrote:
Howdy guys,

Thanks

I had put air caps on my 78 but after almost 40 years the lines just got brittle and wouldn't hold air.

Oh wonderful, I should just need to swap the caps and seals, then fill with oil as normal? Do you happen to have a par5 number for the caps? Or should just replacing the seals be good enough?

SnoBrdr

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:13 pm

StarDiero75 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:29 pm
SnoBrdr wrote:
StarDiero75 wrote:
Howdy guys,

Thanks

Oh wonderful, I should just need to swap the caps and seals, then fill with oil as normal? Do you happen to have a par5 number for the caps? Or should just replacing the seals be good enough?
You can't buy the caps as they are no longer available from Honda.

Not sure what seals you are talking about.

The caps have a O-ring that goes around them.

StarDiero75

Post by StarDiero75 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:37 am

SnoBrdr wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:13 pm
StarDiero75 wrote:
SnoBrdr wrote:

I'm talking about the fork seals since they already leak. Can i replace the fork seals with normal 77 goldwing fork seals and refill with air and call it good? Or would the normal fork seals not work with air?

SnoBrdr

131K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:46 am

StarDiero75 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:37 am
SnoBrdr wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:13 pm
StarDiero75 wrote:

I'm talking about the fork seals since they already leak. Can i replace the fork seals with normal 77 goldwing fork seals and refill with air and call it good? Or would the normal fork seals not work with air?
Oh, I misunderstood.

Yes, they work.