Rough Idle

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
lear45jim
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000

Rough Idle

Post by lear45jim » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:23 pm

Hello everyone

I need help with a rough idling engine. 5 years ago I retrieved my Dad's 1975 GL1000 from a shop it had been sitting in for over 20 years. What landed it there was a leaking fuel tank which someone put something called cream in the tank and resulted in gumming up the fuel system. I brought the bike back to life and have enjoyed occasionally riding it since. I started it up after its winter rest a couple of days ago and the engine will not idle below 2000 RPM.

5 years ago the carbs were rebuilt so they should be in good shape. I forgot to turn the fuel petcock off last fall. Could that have gummed up the carbs? The bike is mostly stock. One important thing to know in trouble shooting is that it has been modified with a Dyna Electronic Ignition.

I am pretty capable mechanically. I really don't want to take the bike anywhere because I am not sure who would be good to fix an old bike and I have a Appalachian trip planned at the end of April so I need to get on this right away. I appreciate any suggestions on fixing the idle problem.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Rough Idle

Post by Rambozo » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:32 pm

Best guess is your idle jets are plugged. A few doses of Seafoam run through the system might clean them out. Otherwise, you will need to pull the carbs to clean them. Search here for the best ways to winterize your bike. Typically that involves emptying the carbs, so this doesn't happen. Or just ride year round.

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Interstate
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Post by patbrandon1 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:12 am

Rambozo wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:32 pm
Best guess is your idle jets are plugged. A few doses of Seafoam run through the system might clean them out. Otherwise, you will need to pull the carbs to clean them. Search here for the best ways to winterize your bike. Typically that involves emptying the carbs, so this doesn't happen. Or just ride year round.
I agree 100% Seafoam can sometime work magic. Some people use Marvel Mystery oil, but I always use Seafoam.

I might get slack for this but I sometimes do things from easy to hard, and occasionally one of those steps may be unconventional.
I have taken out the air filter, put a small amount of Seafoam in a cleaned empty spray bottle. (I now use my lady's old kitchen spritzer bottle that pumps up and sprays a very fine mist. I think cooks use it to spray olive oil on food? I bought her another brand new one once I saw here use it so I could have her old one. And I bought another extra one for me to fill with distilled water to spray on my wind screen. The mist is so fine, it doesn't drip down the windshield of my wing before it loosens all the bug guts. Beats the old towel trick for me.)

Here are the exact spray bottles I bought that come in very handy.

But I digress. I take the spritzer bottle, put a bit of Seafoam in it and with the air filter out I spray it right into the air plenum while twisting the throttle some so it sucks it in good, I would try to run Seafoam through the gas first, but it those jets are plugged beyond a couple tanks of Seafoamed (?) gas, you might want to give the spray trick a try. It has worked for me. I clean my spritzer bottle out well, but an old used Windex bottle can just be tossed.

Keep us posted.

lear45jim
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000

Post by lear45jim » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:06 am

Thanks for the detailed reply. I will try the SeaFoam. Waiting for it to be delivered.