Frontend bouncing GL 1000

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
slackerdk
Motorcycle: 76 - GL 1000

Frontend bouncing GL 1000

Post by slackerdk » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:23 am

Hi again,

So I have a front end that is bouncing. It is most dominant at low to mid speeds.
When I bought the bike the front end was jumping a lot, so I suspected that it was just old/hard tires and went ahead and had the changed and the wheel balanced.
The front end still bounces but not as much. Thought its enough to be uncomfortable.

I have lifted the front and checked that the tire is seated correctly which it seems by the molding line on both sides.
I have also done a visual inspection of the rim, which seems to be ok with maybe a slight/very small mark just where the balancing weights are.
Can this minute thing be the cause?

My right fork leg is leaking at the top, so im going to change seals and caps on both legs and put in new oil.
Is this going to help the bouncing?
Anything else in these forsk i need to change while there anyway?

Any other suggestions on why it bounces are much appreciated too!

Thank you very much in advance for you help!

BR
Steffen

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Frontend bouncing GL 1000

Post by Rambozo » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:31 pm

You could just be out of oil in the forks. That will cause bouncing for sure. Fix the leak and change the oil. You might be surprised to find none or very little in one or both fork legs. When you lifted the front did you check the steering stem bearings? Might want to look at them while you are doing the forks.

slackerdk
Motorcycle: 76 - GL 1000

Re: Frontend bouncing GL 1000

Post by slackerdk » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:33 am

Rambozo wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:31 pm
You could just be out of oil in the forks. That will cause bouncing for sure. Fix the leak and change the oil. You might be surprised to find none or very little in one or both fork legs. When you lifted the front did you check the steering stem bearings? Might want to look at them while you are doing the forks.
Thank you for the fast reply!
Yeah I think you might be right about the oil levels. Previous owner did´nt know any maintenance history on the bike. And since the oil from the engine was completely black and old when i change it, it would´nt be a strech to assume the the forks have not had the best maintenance either.

I did not check the steering stem bearings earlier so thank you for the tip on that! Ill check it when I do the forks for sure.
Thanks!!

BR
Steffen