New wiring - what do I need?

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
STWing
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000

New wiring - what do I need?

Post by STWing »

Hi everyone! This is my first post here, I'm happy to have found this forum! I recently bought a 1975 Goldwing and the bike is not bad but far from perfect. One of the things I would like to start with in my quest to get it back to original state is replace all the wiring, which the POs seemed to have mucked up over the years. I'm still quite a beginner when it comes to working on bikes, so please forgive my ignorance, I'm hoping to learn! Besides the main wiring harness, I'm wondering which other pieces of wiring I'll need if I want to replace everything?
I'm sure there will be many other questions about other aspects coming, but I'll leave it at that for now! Cheers! :)

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Re: New wiring - what do I need?

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Here's a couple of threads to read:

https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/view ... 01#p177401
https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/ ... 100+wiring
https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/ ... 000+wiring

Working on wiring generally takes longer than expected. Recommend using OEM style connectors wherever possible, makes life a lot easier, are inexpensive, and Princess auto sells a good kit by Pro Point to install these.

Remove any aftermarket wiring and accessories to start. Return the wiring back to the way it came out of the factory. Honda and other manufacturers used the minimum size and amount of wiring to have the electrical system safely operate the bike as it came from the factory. Any additions generally add to the current going through wires that were not designed for extra capacity - not to say anything will happen, but when you connect into the OEM system, you have additional considerations when troubleshooting electrical and other system problems.

You shouldn't have to replace any wiring. Take the connectors apart and clean, dirty connectors are a pain and can cause problems.

For aftermarket electrical items recommend installing an accessory fuse block that is a combination power/ground unit operated off a relay that shuts the power off when the bike is not being used.

Good luck.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest
STWing
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000

Re: New wiring - what do I need?

Post by STWing »

Thank you! It looks like I have some reading to do! It would be nice to not have to replace it. I guess I'm just frustrated at seeing wires hanging loose in some places, and more than there should be (I think) in some other places, so I thought "start from zero" would be a good idea, but maybe I don't have to go that far. The PO had a fairing attached, which I removed, so I'm trying to get it back to stock and there seems to have been some modifications made. Thanks again!