Steering stem

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
Worldw3y3d
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000

Steering stem

Post by Worldw3y3d »

Hello all. I purchased a 1979 GL1000 last year. I have stripped everything down so I could get the frame and other items powder coated (had the usual rust at lower port side frame as well as other places). Anyway, I’m in the process of putting everything back together and I can not get the steering stem nut (officially the steering thread part #53220-286-000) to tighten, so I am unable to seat the new steering stem bearings I installed. Every time I turned the nut to tighten, it tightens to a point then rotates free and loose. I purchased another steering thread and it does the same. The threads in the nut and the stem look fine (no signs of cross threading or stripping) and I have ensured that the races inside the neck are seated. I am beyond frustrated and at a complete loss of what else to try short of purchasing another stem and set of bearings. Previous threads here have helped me get to this point but I couldn’t find anyone with this issue before (either here or on google). Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

fatalbert
Motorcycle: 1975 honda goldwing(2), 1962 CA77, 1979 CBX, 1966 BSA Lightning, 1966 Cb450 Bomber

Re: Steering stem

Post by fatalbert »

Remove the bearing and race holder and thread the nut on and see if it will thread on and feel secure. It sure sounds like a mismatch in threads or damaged threads on the stem. Maybe posting a photo might get a response from others that recognize what is going on. It is critical to your safety to resolve this.
Worldw3y3d

Post by Worldw3y3d »

I’m on a 24 hour shift at work so I’ll post some photos tomorrow. Is there any way to fix the threads if they’re damaged?
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo »

Is there a chance that you are running off the end of the threads? Does the stem get smaller or larger where the threads end? Sure sounds like something is mismatched. Can you measure the two threads?

Yes you can have the threads on the stem repaired, but probably cheaper/easier to get a used stem, (since new ones are no more).

To repair, weld up the bad threads, put in a lathe between centers and turn the welded area to size and thread it.
Worldw3y3d

Post by Worldw3y3d »

Attached some photos. Tried screwing in the nut on the stem off the bike and it won’t grab any better. I think you guys were right and I was in denial. I ordered a new-to-me stem and hopefully that works better.
Attachments