1978 gl1000 runs funny when warm

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
BillytheKiD
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000

1978 gl1000 runs funny when warm

Post by BillytheKiD »

Hello all,
I’ve been using this forum to fix up my 78’ goldwing so far I changed the oil, oil filter, fuel lines, and fuel filter, I ran sea foam thru the carbs cause it ran funny. But it still ran poorly under 2500rpm stuttering and popping the exhaust etc. even when dead cold. above that it ran great! I then rebuilt the air cutoff valve which solved most of the problems. It idles nicely at 1000rpm when cold and warm. But after taking it on some longer rides 40+ miles in 90+ degrees by the end of the ride. It will idle rough and threaten to die at lights is very clanky and pops in the exhaust but generally when it starts to do this the voltmeter reads around 12 or slightly less even at highway speeds it will still read like 13v but when I first start it and before the bad running it will sit at 14v all day even while idling. Is this somehow related? I’m going to replace the spark plugs. But I’m feeling this is something else electrical. But is there anything I should look for? Thanks in advance.

flash2002
Motorcycle: gold wing 1800

Re: 1978 gl1000 runs funny when warm

Post by flash2002 »

I think you will have to take the carbs apart and clean and check all the jets and make sure the floats are at the right adjustment. Before you put them back, do a bench carb adjustment I think you can find this on you-tube it will save you time.
winguyjo
Motorcycle: wing1 : 1982 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing2 : 1980 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD.
wing3 : 81gl1100i frame/82gl1100a engine/81cb900 bits. resurrection complete. naked. SOLD.
wing4 : 1977 gl1000 black w/ blue pinstripes; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing5 : 1977 gl1000 black w/gold pinstripes; nearly roadworthy when purchased, NOW RIDING.
wing6 : 1975 gl1000 blue; SOLD

Post by winguyjo »

visually inspect the stator connector near the battery (3 yellow wires); look for evidence of overheating ... dark wires/distorted plastic. disconnect it and inspect the male/female connection points.
make sure that the connections to the ignition coils are clean and tight. check the condition of the battery cables and connections.
landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1976 GL1000LTD
1994 GL1500A

Post by landisr »

You might have two problems. But regarding how poorly it runs when 'warm', next time it acts up like this, pull off the road, shut the bike off and remove the gas cap. If you hear a whooshing sound it would indicate a clogged vent causing the bike to 'starve' for fuel and making it run very lean.
I'm not so sure about an inner child, but I have an inner idiot that surfaces every now and then.. :mrgreen:
BillytheKiD

Post by BillytheKiD »

Thanks for your replies!

I should change the title of this thread to gl1000 just plain runs like a pile of fresh roadkill.

I had already soldered and heat shrinked my stator wires together because previously they had weird crimp connectors that were melted together.

UPDATE:
I cleaned and tightened my battery connections. (I need to take off the main chassis ground and clean it still) Cut out the dog bone fuse which was wavy and rusty. And soldered in a high quality 10AWG marine fuse holder. Seems to work fine starter spins a lil stronger too idk if that’s related. I have a few broken connectors towards the front left side under the shelter cover. I just unplugged and replugged them a couple times to scrape off any corrosion and firmly connected them.

I checked my spark plug caps which were missing the rubber boots over the spark plugs, duct taped together and cracked off in big pieces the worst I’ve ever seen and basically fell off the wire im surprised it still ran. It was terrible . So I replaced them with quality NGK ones with all the rubber boots and snipped a bit of the wire end to get a fresh connection. The spark plugs look rusty and crusty but I have new ones coming in tomorrow. I thought for sure this was my problem. But alas it wasn’t somehow.

I also put o rings on the screws for the vaccum ports on top of the washers to see if that would make a difference.

I also had intake o-rings so I replaced the squared off ones with fresh rubber.

I turned the bike on after all this and not much changed to my disappointment might even be a lil worse. Won’t take off smoothly from a stop even when cold. Chugs and stalls. I have to baby the throttle to pull away and I can’t give more than 1/8 throttle off idle or it’ll die Choke is barely needed to start. Idle is steady when cold but gets irratic and gets worse over time to the point it will stall coming up to lights or if it’s left to idle. But above 2500rpm it rips better than before or I’m just crazy. The choke seems to make things even worse. I reset my mixture screws to 1.5 turns out a little better but still really bad.

The gas cap does make a hiss sound when warm but I tried leaving it open and made no difference. My previous fuel filter had muck in it but I changed that the day I got the bike I have more filters ready. Yes I made sure the fuel flow is in the correct direction.

I looked at the points and they have some pitting and spots so I ordered a nos set off fleabay. I also plan to clean my ground connections for the condenser and other ground locations. I haven’t checked my coil connections yet but I’ll do that tomorrow. Also now my voltage just lingers around 12-13v all the time. And when I started it a couple times the engine would fire/spin after I released the button for just a split second.

After coming back from test ride disheartened I tightened all my intake boots as they had some room still but I didn’t restart the bike to see if that made a difference. I don’t think so cause I soaked the carb area with wd40 trying to find a vaccum leak. earlier and Came up with nothing.

My fan is wired to a switch by the PO that works intermittly but I think I found that problem seems to be a broken wire under a mother load of electrical tape. When I bend it the fan kicks on and off. I will be correcting that tomorrow.

I also checked my battery and it read around 12.83V after the ride I didn’t check it before. I put the bike on a battery maintainer everytime I park it.

Typing out all my problems made me realize I guess I bought a basket case. Here I was thinking I got this bike for a steal🤦🏾

A question I have is would the carbs be at fault here since it gets worse as it warms up I thought it would be the electrical. Because I seem to have so many other questionable electrical work done by PO The bike no matter what runs great above around 2500rpm with good power. I’ll check my fuel lines but since the bike runs good when moving even at full throttle I doubt there is a restriction

I really appreciate all the help. I’d like to have this bike ready for my commute to school if it exists in August.
winguyjo
Motorcycle: wing1 : 1982 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing2 : 1980 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD.
wing3 : 81gl1100i frame/82gl1100a engine/81cb900 bits. resurrection complete. naked. SOLD.
wing4 : 1977 gl1000 black w/ blue pinstripes; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing5 : 1977 gl1000 black w/gold pinstripes; nearly roadworthy when purchased, NOW RIDING.
wing6 : 1975 gl1000 blue; SOLD

Post by winguyjo »

sounds like you have a lot of PO electrical butchery going on. i would get rid of all electrical tape, wire nuts, scotch-lok connectors and whatever other garbage you find and ensure that you have sound wires and clean, tight connectors everywhere before doing anything else. august is a ways off and the gl1000 responds well to a bit of love. pics help.
BillytheKiD

Post by BillytheKiD »

Thanks for you reply I will slowly get through all the electrical crimes committed by the PO. Once I figure out how to post pictures I’ll include them.
BillytheKiD

Post by BillytheKiD »

I’m working on the bike now and I have a couple. Questions.There is a blue wire that’s connected to ground in one of the hinge mounts for the shelter. But it goes no where and just taped to the harness is this a factory ground for something? Also my fan switch was directly wired to this box “acc terminal” is that okay?

[/img]
Attachments

BillytheKiD

Post by BillytheKiD »

I cleaned some connectors near the coils and cut out some unessacary wiring that was done by someone in the past for the front fairing I took off I cleaned my battery connections again , and condenser ground with my small electric dremel tool so that there is shiny metal. I got the new spark plugs and installed them

I also fixed the wiring for my fan switch and it seems like the switch is also making a bad connection inside I’ll be buying a new one.

Here are my old plugs respective to their orientation on the bike, One of the plugs doesn’t look like it’s firing. It smells like fuel but isn’t tan like the others. I did spray the plugs with pb blaster before removing them cause they looked rusty but they came out easy so they may be a little wet from the pb.

I haven’t started the bike yet. Cause I ran out of time.
Picture isn’t great I’ll try to take a better one tomorrow.
Attachments

landisr
1976 GL1000LTD
1994 GL1500A

Post by landisr »

Keep up the good work. I know all about 'cleaning up' after previous owners. It can be 'fun'..
I'm not so sure about an inner child, but I have an inner idiot that surfaces every now and then.. :mrgreen:
BillytheKiD

Post by BillytheKiD »

Update: I worked on the bike again today. I cleaned and sanded down the chassis battery ground and added one of Randakks tip with the condenser ground and grounded it to the chassis ground while I had the motor mount off. I’m waiting on my new set of points coming in Tuesday. I got a test light today so I can do the timing when I replace the points.

And while the bike is parked here for a little I was thinking of doing the in Situ carb cleaning method I saw on randakks site while I don’t have the cleaner he recommended I have Berrymans B12 and it’s pretty strong.

Has anyone had good results with this method?

I’m not sure if I have carb problems but it can’t hurt to try right?
Attachments

BillytheKiD

Post by BillytheKiD »

Update:

I ended up replacing the points the timing was way off so I adjusted that now it runs fine.
landisr
1976 GL1000LTD
1994 GL1500A

Post by landisr »

Congrats! And thanks for the update.

Enjoy the ride. :)