75 gl1000 no fuel to carbs

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
Vil8er
Motorcycle: 77 wing

75 gl1000 no fuel to carbs

Post by Vil8er »

Im stumped.... Fuel pump good...great pressure to the intake but nothing comes out to any of the carbs. Ive completely disassembled the intake and checked that it flows with air but once put together with no carbs connected with fiel line nothing comes out.

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Re: 75 gl1000 no fuel to carbs

Post by Maz »

Vil8er wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:38 pm Im stumped.... Fuel pump good...great pressure to the intake but nothing comes out to any of the carbs. Ive completely disassembled the intake and checked that it flows with air but once put together with no carbs connected with fiel line nothing comes out.
When you say the fuel pump is good, how did you test it? First, remove fuel line from the petcock. Hold a cup under the petcock and turn it to on. Is there fuel coming out? Try Res position too. If fuel flows, reconnect line. Try the same again with the inlet to the filter. If fuel flows at each point, up to the pump, remove the line going into carbs then crank the engine. You should get regular spurts of fuel. If this works, but the carbs are still not filling with fuel (loosen the float bowl drain screws to check) then all 4 float valves must be stuck closed. (Unusual, unless the carbs/bike have been stored badly). If you don't get spurts of fuel when cranking engine, but you had fuel right up to the pump, then the pump is bad.
Maz
Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!
Vil8er
Motorcycle: 77 wing

Post by Vil8er »

After more time giving to prime the carbs i guess.....the number one carb is the only one not getting fuel. I removed the carb and found out the plunger had a hair line crack almost all around the top. I pushed on it and it came apart. Replaced it and still trying to get fuel to it. I also noticed that the plenum seems to be sucking air around the air bypass valve . not at the valve but in the plenum itself...is this normal? Please firgive if im not calling everything by the correct name..
Im still learning. I noticed that 3 and 4 cylinders are hot after running a few min but 1 abd 2 still cold.
Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz »

Vil8er wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:27 pm After more time giving to prime the carbs i guess.....the number one carb is the only one not getting fuel. I removed the carb and found out the plunger had a hair line crack almost all around the top. I pushed on it and it came apart. Replaced it and still trying to get fuel to it. I also noticed that the plenum seems to be sucking air around the air bypass valve . not at the valve but in the plenum itself...is this normal? Please firgive if im not calling everything by the correct name..
Im still learning. I noticed that 3 and 4 cylinders are hot after running a few min but 1 abd 2 still cold.
You don't mention the history of the bike, but from the sound of things, the carbs need a full and proper clean and rebuild.

Maz

Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!