speed wobbles on deceleration at 40mph

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
Magonsterz!
Motorcycle: 1979 with 1975 engine

speed wobbles on deceleration at 40mph

Post by Magonsterz! »

Noticed front end wobble (start of tank slap) when no hand deceleration around 40ish, is this normal for 79 GL?
Bike has recent to new tires front and back but dont know of previous owner had them balanced or just put on and so that is def on the to do list.
Did notice there were some stick on weights on the mags that had been removed as evident by glue base, but none were placed back on anywhere.
Could this contribute to wobble? Cycle came with fork brace (MARKLAND brand) looks beefy, thought this was to eliminate wobble?
Have to pull down front end to have wheel balanced for sure, is there anything else i can check or align when going back together or maybe add a steering damper? They look pretty cool but pricey.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: speed wobbles on deceleration at 40mph

Post by WingAdmin »

It's normal for ALL years of Goldwings. Sometimes you can fix it with adjusted steering head torque, wheel bearings, different tires, different shocks, handlebar weights, or any of many other things that can introduce free play into the bike and alter its natural resonant frequency. But the easiest way to prevent it is to just keep your hands on the grips. :)
Magonsterz!

Post by Magonsterz! »

WingAdmin wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:03 pm It's normal for ALL years of Goldwings. Sometimes you can fix it with adjusted steering head torque, wheel bearings, different tires, different shocks, handlebar weights, or any of many other things that can introduce free play into the bike and alter its natural resonant frequency. But the easiest way to prevent it is to just keep your hands on the grips. :)
BOOOOOOOOOO! Safety first hands on the bars, haha, yeah i was coasing for a sec admiring the ride and warble caught me off guard, however i think i will fab up a top mount steer damper for **** plus the cool factor, "everyones doinit!"
thx for the input.
Magonsterz!

Post by Magonsterz! »

WingAdmin wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:03 pm It's normal for ALL years of Goldwings. Sometimes you can fix it with adjusted steering head torque, wheel bearings, different tires, different shocks, handlebar weights, or any of many other things that can introduce free play into the bike and alter its natural resonant frequency. But the easiest way to prevent it is to just keep your hands on the grips. :)
Well looks like I can check and reset steering head bearing torque while waiting on clutch parts to arrive. Will also get wheel balanced and ordered a steering damper as well just for good measure. 4.5 lbs resistance with forks in place only but have to verify nut torque.
thebruce
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500SE Anniversary Edition #54

Post by thebruce »

I absolutely hate this behaviour on my wing. I have been surprised a few times as it's the first bike that I have owned that initiates a tank slapper without any consideration to my inattention...

Tightening up the steering head to spec or even maybe a little tighter will help.

A damper will hopefully clean that right up.
It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you have your knees to the breeze.
Magonsterz!

Post by Magonsterz! »

found some items to coble up a damper kit to mimic ones designed for HD's and will use the right side horn mount for frame mounting point since it is closest to the triple tree and lower enough to clear the pho tank panels.

example right side hook up
example right side hook up

actual to install
actual to install

actual fork mount
actual fork mount