Drive train issues

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
Shadetree
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Drive train issues

Post by Shadetree »

Hello all. New to forum, any insight would be appreciated. 77 Gl1000 rear caliper seized up on a very busy thoroughfare. While trying to reach a safe area, the drive train stopped engaging. Schlepped it home, pulled rear wheel, checked final drive, free spinning and clear. U joint intact ( although there is a cable tie wrapped next to it?). All runs, turns freely until wheel is remounted then...nothing but grinding. Am I hosed? Thanks for the help

cfairweather
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000, 1976 GL1000, 2013 BMW R1200RT, two restored 1971 K1 CB750s, 2019 Triumph Speed Twin

Re: Drive train issues

Post by cfairweather »

The good news is it very easy to replace the differential and they are cheap on EBay if you need one. I have had many GL1000s and have never seen one fail. Where exactly is the grinding coming from? Is the problem in the drive shaft area, the differential or inside the engine. If in the driveshaft area, the propeller shaft joint or the end of the drive shaft may have stripped out. It won't take long to take it all apart and see where it is damaged. The clutch would take a lot of stress under these conditions. Does it feel normal when you pull the lever?
Shadetree
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Re: Drive train issues

Post by Shadetree »

Hello and thanks for the response. I was a bit down after the incident and have yet to revisit it. The clutch feels very normal when pulled, and (with wheel off and no load while running) engages and shifts through gears fine. When reassembled and running , the grinding sounds like it is in the engine housing, forward of the drive u joint. I will start further disassembling when time permits. Again. Thanks for the advice.