New driver. Dropped at stop. Carb flooding. Fixed.

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
leonardhcross
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000, Limited Edition

New driver. Dropped at stop. Carb flooding. Fixed.

Post by leonardhcross »

Good morning all. I have inherited a 1976 GL1000, ltd. edition. 71-years-old and haven't ridden in 55 years. Pretty fit and strong. Dropped the bike at a stop yesterday and stood her back up. Tried to continue with my practice session but the bike was running rough and would not idle. I limped a couple of miles home where I did some basic trouble shooting. The question for me was.......Why has tipping my bike on its side affected the carbs?

I removed the air cleaner and box to look into the plenum. Sure enough, gas was pooling in the bottom of the plenum. My guess was that, tipping my bike on its side while running had somehow caused one or more of the float needles to not seat and gas was flooding the intake. Only having experience with traditional automotive carbs from years past, I took the handle of my ratchet wrench and began tapping gently on the sides of the carbs. The only surface that I could easily tap on was the tops of the carbs. While I tapped, I watched in the plenum and, sure enough, after a bit of tapping, all the flooding ended. I hopped back on the bike and continued with my lesson......focusing on keeping my handle bars square at a stop.

So, was my diagnosis correct? Does tipping cause float needles to unseat?

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Re: New driver. Dropped at stop. Carb flooding. Fixed.

Post by DenverWinger »

Not uncommon to flood a couple cylinders if the bike lays down and "takes a nap", but on startup after the nap, once that initial gag of excess fuel is burned, the bike should return to normal on its own.

Your stuck needle valve suggests some debris in the fuel system or carbs needing cleaned.

Be sure to turn your fuel valve to "off" when not riding. A full fuel tank can gravity-feed to the carbs, and if a needle valve happens to be leaking a little it can fill a cylinder with fuel and you have a hydrolocked engine. This especially important if carbs look like needing serviced.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark
leonardhcross

Post by leonardhcross »

Thanks Mark for the prompt reply. Carbs were rebuilt this past summer using Randakk's kit and video. Float valves set right to speck at the time. New fuel filters so there should not be any debris. Plus, it only happened when, as you say, the bike "took a nap".

Great suggestion re: petcock. I have not been in the habit of turning it off and I just filled the tank so will train myself to turn it off each time.

Question......as I tapped the carbs, I watched the flow into the plenum stop. Do you think that was because of the tapping? I think it was myself because the bike had continued to run, although roughly, until I got her home. About 20 minutes. So, if it was going to clear up on its own, I would think it would have done that by the time I got home.
winguyjo
Motorcycle: wing1 : 1982 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing2 : 1980 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD.
wing3 : 81gl1100i frame/82gl1100a engine/81cb900 bits. resurrection complete. naked. SOLD.
wing4 : 1977 gl1000 black w/ blue pinstripes; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing5 : 1977 gl1000 black w/gold pinstripes; nearly roadworthy when purchased, NOW RIDING.
wing6 : 1975 gl1000 blue; SOLD

Post by winguyjo »

i have often had a carb leak after an overhaul. i do exactly what you do, rap on the bowl with the plastic handle of a screw driver. if it doesn't respond after a bit of this i turn it up a notch and use the handle of a 3/8" ratchet. works almost every time. my hypothesis is that sometimes a float needle needs a bit of help walking up it's bore . i could be wrong, it could be a tiny bit of dirt 100% of the time, but regardless, it works, and i have never had to take the carbs out again after the bowl-rapping cure.
leonardhcross

Post by leonardhcross »

Thanks for confirming winguyjo.
newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 »

It can be dirt or rust from the tank getting stuck in the float valves and knocking on the carbs gets the debris free from the float valve(s).
When you cleaned the carbs dod you empty the tank and inspect it for rust through the float gauge hole?
W109driver
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000

Post by W109driver »

55 years! That is some "Born Again Biker" lol. Well done on still having the nerve to get back on the horse!

How did you come to inherit it?
Interesting history?
leonardhcross

Post by leonardhcross »

Actually, it is a bit of an unusual "inheritance". The previous owner, my younger brother was in a legal jam and needed some quick cash. I didn't really want the bike but agreed to buy it from him to help him out. He is now in state prison and I have become attached to the bike. Funny how life goes.
W109driver
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000

Post by W109driver »

Blimey that leads to lots more questions.
Funny though, because I recently bought my GL from the city of Liverpool, and they are mostly convicts as well! Haha.

(I'm joking Scosers are lovely people, honestly. 😆)
heli_madken
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000 K2

Post by heli_madken »

I heard that! pardon?