compression test question.

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
Nina2017
Motorcycle: 1999 Goldwing SE

compression test question.

Post by Nina2017 »

Could a carburetor malfunction effect a compression test on a cylinder? All four cylinders test the same(130 )until I open throttle as wide as it will go, three others go to 165 with throttle open. The throttle is sticky and will only turn about a third of what it should. Bike was stored for 3 years and neglected by its owner. It runs well. The plugs all look the same after running 1/4 take of gas through it. Soaked the right side front cylinder with marvel mystery oil over night and it ran even better. Compression on that cylinder was same. The air cleaner seems good. I haven't ridden it cause front calipers are frozen.

winguyjo
Motorcycle: wing1 : 1982 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing2 : 1980 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD.
wing3 : 81gl1100i frame/82gl1100a engine/81cb900 bits. resurrection complete. naked. SOLD.
wing4 : 1977 gl1000 black w/ blue pinstripes; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing5 : 1977 gl1000 black w/gold pinstripes; nearly roadworthy when purchased, NOW RIDING.
wing6 : 1975 gl1000 blue; SOLD

Re: compression test question.

Post by winguyjo »

"stored 3 years and neglected by it's owner" ...

this means you need to go through the full resurrection process.

the first step is to change the timing belt. this is an intereference engine; you don't want to roll the dice here.

to do a proper compression test you need top open the throttle fully ... the engine needs a full charge of air to compress.

remove throttle cables and choke cable and lube them. i would pull the carbs and at least inspect the bowls, but since it involves a fair bit of labour to remove them, i would just go ahead and fully disassemble/clean/assess them.

there's more and hopefully someone can link the resurrection process as outlined by "randakk". it's an excellent guide to whipping these bikes into shape.