Kick Start

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
GL1000K1dan
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 K1

Kick Start

Post by GL1000K1dan »

Has anyone used the kick start on their GL1000 recently ?
I haven't, as yet, but would like to know what to expect IF I ever had to use it. Is there much resistance when you put your weight on it and does it kick down smoothly ?
I rebuilt my engine last year and, fingers crossed, correctly refitted the kick start attachment dog (assuming that's what it's called) to the back of the engine. What I don't want to do is to put my full weight on the kick start in the belief that it's supposed to have a lot of resistance and end up with broken bits on the back of the engine.
Or, alternatively, I could just leave the kick start stowed away and just forget it's there. However, that's no fun as I am curious to know if it would be a useful lump of metal to carry around on the bike, if ever needed.

rudolphwolven
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 K1

Re: Kick Start

Post by rudolphwolven »

I once used the kickstarter (out of curiosity)....for me it is an uncomfortable thing / procedure......the backpressure is there, rather strong.....after pushing it down the number of revolutions of the crankshaft and its rpm speed is low.....several attempts were needed....It is imho a real emergency item......I gave up and stored it nice in it's place since then......
Regards, Ruud
Proud winner of the NGWClub-USA contest Bike of the Year 2016--Image
GL1000K1dan
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 K1

Re: Kick Start

Post by GL1000K1dan »

As I suspected. It's probably not worth the hassle.
With emergency starter packs and breakdown cover, I guess a kickstart is just a relic from the past.
I'll just leave it stowed away and focus my curiosty on something else.